Eye of Round vs Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinmikey

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
Southern CAL Palm Desert
I ahve seen a few tv shows where the chef's are using eye of round which look very lean. Does anyone smoke them on the forum ? I am handicapped so using the smoker is a chore but I can manage ok.
Thanks for any help
Mike

Reactions: JLeonard
qhcG3d1.jpg

Hey Mike, I cook round and rump roasts on my smoker, but you can get great results in the oven. I really like them chilled and sliced for sandwiches.
LoH1v.jpg

What is your goal? Eye Round smoked to an Internal Temp of 120 the Seared until well browned and Med/Rare is good, especially cold and sliced supper thin.
Eye round smoked like Brisket 225, to probe tender, IT, 195-200, can be done as well but the Texture will be different and may not be as juicy...JJ

I would recommend top round instead of eye. And smoke only to medium rare, either with or without searing. But smoked rump roast is even better. Again medium rare. Here is my video.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
They come out good in the smoker, you could smoke at a low temp for an hour or two then finish in oven to your doneness liking if that would be easier for ya.

The reason you don't want to smoke round or rump to 200 degrees like you do brisket is because they don't have much fat and collagen like brisket does. I think you will have shoe leather if you try. But if you cook at 220 or so, you should get 1-2 hours of smoke before being medium rare. You could also score the meat to help smoke penetrate a little better. Don't forget to do a dry brine overnight first.

I make pastrami from the eye round instead of the brisket. The eye round has little
fat. Lots less than the brisket. I cure it in a brine which makes it corned beef, and
then dry it and rub with coriander, black pepper, and mustard seed. Into the smoker
until it reaches about 130. Cool in the refrigerator over night and slice the next day.
The meat can be dry so steam it a little before making the sandwiches.
It makes really good pastrami sandwiches.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky