Eye of round Pastrami, mucho q-view!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Al,
I realize that this is an old thread but I am new to the forum and smoking. I am following your recipe to make my 1st pastrami. The 2.7 # eye has been in the cure for 7 days and I noticed that the ziplock bag has puffed up. Is that normal?

Good call on something to check.
I am running between 37 and 39.
I have read in other places that the safe range is 36 to 40.
I wouldn't think that temp is off enough to cause a problem!

Al,
I realize that this is an old thread but I am new to the forum and smoking. I am following your recipe to make my 1st pastrami. The 2.7 # eye has been in the cure for 7 days and I noticed that the ziplock bag has puffed up. Is that normal?

Are you using a wet brine?
If you look at my zip lock bag, it is filled & tied so no air can get in.
I don't see how it could swell up without breaking.
Al

Yes, I am using the same brine that you used. I do have a little air trapped in the bag. It is not like the bag is blowing up. There is just a slight puffiness to the bag. I think I have found the answer. A few days back, I reoriented the bag in the bowl to get more brine above the meat. I must have changed the bag volume putting a slight amount of pressure on the air in the bag,
Just nervous on my first attempt.

Hi SmokinAl, this is my first post. I've just made your recipe for round pastrami last night. Omg, everyone loves it. My family is mad im taking the rest to share with friends this weekend. Thanks for the goodness!
20190321_220250.jpg

Last edited:
Hi SmokinAl, this is my first post. I've just made your recipe for round pastrami last night. Omg, everyone loves it. My family is mad im taking the rest to share with friends this weekend. Thanks for the goodness!
View attachment 391037

Your very welcome!
Your pastrami looks fantastic!
I'm glad it was such a hit!!
Al

I have done 10 or more of Al's Pastrami's and they are always a big hit. I started using a 50/50 mix of hickory and cherry and most like it better than straight hickory.

I have done 10 or more of Al's Pastrami's and they are always a big hit. I started using a 50/50 mix of hickory and cherry and most like it better than straight hickory.

That is real good to hear Jim!
I'm happy that you like the pastrami & that you have tweaked it a bit to suit your own tastes.
Now you have your own pastrami recipe!!
Al

Just saw this Al! Very Nice!

Oh by the way love the table top temp gauge.

Thank-you Sir!!!
Al
Great looking pastrami Al!! thank you for the post and the tutorial. I currently have 30 lbs of eye of round curing, it’ll go into the smokehouse next weekend but I was wondering how I should package the finished product. Would you slice it all up and vacuum pack it and then freeze or would you leave it in whole chunks and vacuum pack and freeze and slice when needed. I’m not sure how to proceed with the longterm storage of the pastrami. Thanks in advance Al - love learning and experimenting from your and other members posts oh by the way I also currently have 40 lbs of pork belly curing which I will cold smoke, slice and vacuum pack. First time doing bacon and pastrami can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Mario

Great looking pastrami Al!! thank you for the post and the tutorial. I currently have 30 lbs of eye of round curing, it’ll go into the smokehouse next weekend but I was wondering how I should package the finished product. Would you slice it all up and vacuum pack it and then freeze or would you leave it in whole chunks and vacuum pack and freeze and slice when needed. I’m not sure how to proceed with the longterm storage of the pastrami. Thanks in advance Al - love learning and experimenting from your and other members posts oh by the way I also currently have 40 lbs of pork belly curing which I will cold smoke, slice and vacuum pack. First time doing bacon and pastrami can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Mario

I always slice it first, then vac pack & freeze it. That way you only need to clean the slicer one time, and as long as it's vac packed it will last for ever in the freezer. Then when thawed it tastes just like you just made it.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky