Eye Of Round On My New Toy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

weedeater

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 26, 2012
Northwest Georgia
Got my new Anova Sous Vide in on Saturday and had to break it in. While looking thru the chest freezer in search of a piece of meat for the inaugural run I ran across a 6 lb. rough looking Eye of Round that should have been thrown out 6 months ago. Decided that I had nothing to lose.

I cut it in half to make two 3 pound roasts. Did a simple SPOG rub on one of them and French onion soup dry mix on the other and bagged them up in the fridge. Been studying a lot on this site and others this last week in anticipation of this new beginning. Followed all of Bearcarver’s Step by Steps on his Eye of Rounds Sous Vide style. Decided to do them at 134 degrees for 21 hours.

Almost Done!

57C0D0FD-94B4-4B7E-862B-2537F2E2C45E.jpeg

Just Out And On The Plate

04B45A39-EC3E-4135-9026-F58D866EBF0E.jpeg

Here we are all sliced up and ready to eat. Looks really good and the texture is great.

1579E723-D016-4803-8779-7DA16DB37F60.jpeg

Pretty much Fork Tender for both roasts. Not a lot of difference between the two roasts. It was by far the best Eye of Round I have ever had. I am SOLD on the Sous Vede process. Not something I want to do for everything but will definitely keep it in the arsenal. Took a piece of meat that was “Select Quality” at best when it was put in the freezer a year ago and turned it into a delicious meal that had the tast and texture of a fillet. Thanks to Bearcarver and others who are leading the way.

Attachments

• E3CA612A-A5EA-4C39-A021-D963AE378FA5.jpeg
    E3CA612A-A5EA-4C39-A021-D963AE378FA5.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 34
  • 8F279955-E8C4-4F5C-BF9A-836146A95B2F.jpeg
    8F279955-E8C4-4F5C-BF9A-836146A95B2F.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 37
Looking good. I'm pretty new with Sous vide. I've a couple of chuck roast and they turned out amazing. Looking forward to trying eye of round.

Looking good. I'm pretty new with Sous vide. I've a couple of chuck roast and they turned out amazing. Looking forward to trying eye of round.
The Eye of Round was amazing. Could not believe the total difference SV style made on this piece of meat. I understand that Chuckies undergo a similar transformation. Got several in the freezer that I will try soon. Weedeater

Great job!
You can't beat Bear's step by steps!
Al
Thanks Smokinal. Bear does do a great job with all his “step by steps”. This one was right on target. The only thing I did different was bumping the temp up a couple of degrees because that is the “sweet spot” for my family. Could not be happier with my new purchase. Got to work on a cooler mode now for the SV unit to accommodate larger pieces of meat.
Weed eater

Thanks Smokinal. Bear does do a great job with all his “step by steps”. This one was right on target. The only thing I did different was bumping the temp up a couple of degrees because that is the “sweet spot” for my family. Could not be happier with my new purchase. Got to work on a cooler mode now for the SV unit to accommodate larger pieces of meat.
Weed eater

That's Great, Weedeater!!
Looks Just Right !!---Like.
I'm glad somebody's getting some use out of my Sous Vide Step by Steps.
I had to do a bit of testing to get them locked down.
Some are still in the works, but the Eye Round is a Lock, and the Chuck Roast is even better. IMHO

As to the Internal Temp, Mrs Bear & I prefer between 139° and 143° for our steaks & Prime Rib when it comes to conventional & Smoke cooking.
I've found that Going SV at 131° to 134° ends up almost exactly the same.

Bear

That's Great, Weedeater!!
Looks Just Right !!---Like.
I'm glad somebody's getting some use out of my Sous Vide Step by Steps.
I had to do a bit of testing to get them locked down.
Some are still in the works, but the Eye Round is a Lock, and the Chuck Roast is even better. IMHO

As to the Internal Temp, Mrs Bear & I prefer between 139° and 143° for our steaks & Prime Rib when it comes to conventional & Smoke cooking.
I've found that Going SV at 131° to 134° ends up almost exactly the same.

Bear
Your step by step was right on target for this one! I moved my temp up to 134 degrees and that worked out perfect for us. I have got a few Chuck Roasts in the freezer that are begging to try your step by step routine. Thanks for your great, easy to follow, step by steps.

When I started looking at Sous Vide seriously I was concerned that the recipes were all over the map with a lot of info that is just plain wrong and some that looks unsafe. Thanks for putting out good reliable information that makes sense.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky