Eye of Round & Artichoke Frittata

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
After pouring over posts by Sowsage, Chopsaw, and the Bear I went to Sam's and picked up a five pound Eye of Round. I trimmed what little fat there was and brushed on some EVOO, coated it with Montreal Steak Seasoning, and bagged it for a night in the fridge.
DSCN1476.JPG

The next day at one in the afternoon I had the sous vide pot fired up to 129º and dumped the roast in for a 28 hour bath. It just barely fit into my 4 gallon pot and I had to weight it down, added water twice over the cook to keep things covered. So today at five it was ready to pull
DSCN1481.JPG

Then go for a quick sear with the torch. Boy howdy, I love playing with that torch!
DSCN1483.JPG

I was fairly confident the eye was going to be sufficiently tender so that afternoon I assembled a artichoke frittata. I make these about once a month and they are a treat, learned from my mama. I sautéed some chopped onion in olive oil over medium heat and then added the baby artichoke hearts
DSCN1479.JPG

Stirring and flipping pretty much constantly just as they began to brown a bit I poured in seven scrambled eggs and reduced the heat a bit until the eggs began to firm up. Then came the tricky part, flipping that sucker, Sorry, no pics of that, but it takes a Pamm'd up dinner plate and a pair of high heat oven gloves to get it back in the pan. After the flip I returned the heat to medium for a couple of minutes, then put the pan into a 325º oven for 12 minutes. What comes out always makes me happy!
DSCN1480.JPG

I had a nice buttery tater ready to go, was able to cut the eye of round with a butter knife, and the frittata was heaven
DSCN1485.JPG

Used a little horseradish and had a nice glass of cab with dinner.
DSCN1486.JPG

Overall I was thrilled with the flavor and texture of the beef, this is a great way to produce a meal that doesn't break the bank yet is very satisfying. Today will be a open-faced beef sammy with brown gravy and then some work with my meat slicer. Kudos to the Bear, Chopsaw, and Sowsage for showing me the way. Thanks for looking! RAY

Thanks for the like Richie, much appreciated! I love making frittata, always brings back memories of my noni and my mama. I squeeze some lemon juice over it when it comes out of the oven, tho I also eat it cold right out of the fridge. It's vegetables, so it must be health food. RAY

RAY, that looks fantastic! I just noticed that a Meijer close to me had whole eye of round on sale this week. I'll have to make the trip to pick a couple up. That frittata looks real good.. We like artichokes. That might be on the menu next week!

Reactions: sawhorseray
Ray, good looking meal there! SV eye of round is a good thing, maybe the secret is out that they’re creeping up in price.

That artichoke frittata looks delicious, I wanna try that.

Ray, good looking meal there! SV eye of round is a good thing, maybe the secret is out that they’re creeping up in price. That artichoke frittata looks delicious, I wanna try that.

I hear you Xray, a month ago Sam's had eye of round for $2.75lb, I paid #3.31lb. Another nice thing about making a frittata is I get to enjoy the artichoke flavor without gobbling down a half a jar of mayo. Thanks for the like, I appreciate it. RAY

Reactions: xray
I hear you Xray, a month ago Sam's had eye of round for $2.75lb, I paid #3.31lb. Another nice thing about making a frittata is I get to enjoy the artichoke flavor without gobbling down a half a jar of mayo. Thanks for the like, I appreciate it. RAY

What is the mayo and artichoke used for? Spinach artichoke dip? Or do you dip them in mayo? I’ve never eaten a fresh artichoke, seems like a lot of work.

But I do like a jar of the marinated artichoke hearts from time to time.

I still want to make this though, I’ll probably show the wife for the go ahead.

What is the mayo and artichoke used for? Spinach artichoke dip? Or do you dip them in mayo? I’ve never eaten a fresh artichoke, seems like a lot of work. But I do like a jar of the marinated artichoke hearts from time to time. I still want to make this though, I’ll probably show the wife for the go ahead.

I understand that a lot of folks back east never had much exposure to artichokes. Being a CA native, and Italian, I grew up eating them fresh. Yep, I dip the leaves and heart in mayo or a little lemon-butter. A fresh choke chased down with a glass of cold milk is a truly wonderful thing. RAY

Reactions: xray
Ray that looks awesome. I have a couple eye of rounds in the freezer. I plan on sous vide for one and smoking the other. The frittata looks great too!

RAY, that looks fantastic! I just noticed that a Meijer close to me had whole eye of round on sale this week. I'll have to make the trip to pick a couple up. That frittata looks real good.. We like artichokes. That might be on the menu next week!
Kroger had them for $2.99 last weekend. Not sure if that expired yesterday or not.

Ray , nice work . The eye round is great like that . I have a half seasoned , vac'd in the freezer .
Great looking plate .

Thank you all for the kind comments and likes, I appreciate them very much. Had I not seen the threads by Chopsaw and Sowsage I'd have never tried this. I knew that sous vide could change the texture of a hunk of meat, but not to the degree that it can take a eye of round or sirloin tip roast and make it so tender, I was pretty skeptical.

As for the frittata, all it takes is 18 ounces of frozen artichoke hearts, a little chopped onion, and seven eggs scrambled. In a CI skillet or oven safe pan clarify the chopped onion in olive oil, then toss in the thawed artichoke hearts and keep them moving until they begin to just brown up. Then it's time to add the scrambled eggs and reduce the heat a bit, letting the eggs set a bit, like cooking a omelet. Now comes the tricky part, the flip. Some cooks avoid this step by just placing the pan with the frittata under the broiler for a few minutes to cook the top egg, then turn down the oven heat to let the frittata cook throughout. That's the safe easy way, but that's not the way my mama did it, so I don't either. I take a dinner plate and spray it with Pam, then turn the pan with the frittata on it upside down on that plate, then slide it back onto the pan and back to the stove for a few minutes, then it goes into the oven for 10-12 minutes to finish cooking thru. Of course that flip is going to take a good pair of oven gloves or mitts, and that's when mishaps can occur, you want to be really careful! I like to squeeze the juice of a lemon over the frittata right when it come out of the oven. It's a great side dish that'll go with anything, stands on it's own pretty well also. RAY

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky