Expert Grill lump (Wally World) burning like kindling.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
afternoon Y'all
this might be an anomoly but a little concerned about burn time of expert Grill lump in my Kamado. got up at 5AM to start a butt. Had a volcano pile of Expert Grill(Walmart) already set up.
It was the better part of an 8lb bag.(I'm not OCD enough to weigh lump before i put it in) They were all sizes both large and small. Filled my fire bowl about 2/3's way up.
Set vents to recommended for 225-250. According to Inkbird graph at grate level, I reached and levled at 265 by 6:30AM. Ran steady until until 9:30 AM. (3 hours) All was good so set alarms and took a nap. Was woke at11:30 with temp of 183. Thought I'd b good for whole 6-8 hour cook. Went out at 11:30 and it was all but burnt up but a few embers in the middle. I thought I had this kamado figured out, but had to add a bucket (probably 3-4 lbs of smallish Royal oak i had left over ) open vents nd let it catch again. got some good embers and shut vents down to barely open as I would for 250-265. right now (noonish) running steady 225. The whole point of this post is to see if anybody else is seeing this fast burn time with Wally World lump. I bought a shit load of 8 lb bags when it was $5 a bag. doesn't seem like a great deal now if a 8lb bag is going to burn up in 3-4 hours. There was no alcohol or other enhancements in this excercise. Butt is now running 150 on both probes. have an appt. at 1:45.. will see what happens. riding temps on Inkbird now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky