Experimental Fire Water!!! AKA Acid Rain!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks like its going to be tasty! I just picked up some peppers to make a new batch myself.

How much ginger do you add to your shoyu? Is that all you add?

I made it the same way but instead of salt I put some shoyu and added a finger of chopped ginger. It taste good but needed more peppers. I'll be using the shoyu batch up in my teri marinade...

I made it the same way but instead of salt I put some shoyu and added a finger of chopped ginger. It taste good but needed more peppers. I'll be using the shoyu batch up in my teri marinade...

Gotcha! I read it wrong thought you said you made Ginger Shoyu. Which i think would be great to.

Bump, I always have a bottle of this around now. Use it on lots of things. Forget to post though until I need to make more. This recent batch is with dried Thai chili's I have around.

Good stuff isn't it! Always have a bottle mixed up. Love it on rice!

I JUST made a batch using fresh Serrano peppers as our plants are exploding with fruit right now.  Should i have dried them first or is fresh fine?

PS, it's a double batch and I used 20 peppers.  They are pretty hot this year so it should burn.

I JUST made a batch using fresh Serrano peppers as our plants are exploding with fruit right now.  Should i have dried them first or is fresh fine?

PS, it's a double batch and I used 20 peppers.  They are pretty hot this year so it should burn.
Fresh or dried is fine, works either way. I use 16 habaneros or Thai chilies in a single batch so you should be fine. If it is not hot enough you can always add more peppers, it is a very forgiving recipe.

Fresh is perfectly fine. In fact when I was in Hawaii that's what everyone uses is fresh Hawaiian peppers.

Has anyone ever tried to use smoked peppers?  Say, smoke some habs for a few hours at 130-140* (so it just softens them up but gives them plenty of smokey goodness) and pop them into this recipe?

Has anyone ever tried to use smoked peppers?  Say, smoke some habs for a few hours at 130-140* (so it just softens them up but gives them plenty of smokey goodness) and pop them into this recipe?
I know that I haven't. It would be worth a try.

... So here is the single batch recipe:

I saw the link to this in the 'loaf of death' thread, and loving the ultra-hot as I do I decided to make some. I did a few things a little differently though (hope you don't mind). The basic idea seemed fantastic.

I started off with about 12-14 habaneros, 8-10 serranos, 5-6 large jalepenos and 4-5 fresno peppers. Off to the smoker I went. I smoked all the peppers for about 10 hours with cherry wood. Then I rough chopped the peppers and followed your recipe from there. I did use rice vinegar though. After letting it sit for a few hours I gave it a taste and it seemed to me like it was missing something, so I added some more rice vinegar (about 2 Tbsp). I let that sit for a few hours on the window sill in the sun and tried it again. Seemed much better to my taste buds and I even added some more vinegar. Now it ROCKS!

The smoked habaneros give it a great smoky habanero flavor, the smoked serranos give it some acid, bite and more heat. The smoked jalepenos impart a really nice pepper flavor and the smoked fresnos round all the edges off. Oh, it's HOT alright, but this stuff is dynamite! I really like the garlic in there too. Really a complex flavor, and not something any store-bought thing could ever come close to! I'm tempted to hit it with a bit of salt, but I think I'll hold off on that for a day or so and see what happens. And talk about versatile! This stuff will be off-the-hook on just about anything! Heck, I might even put some on my ice cream! LOL!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky