Excess Grease on Cast Iron Griddle Topper

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jpwkeeper

Original poster
Jun 9, 2020
I recently purchased a Lodge cast iron griddle topper for making smash-burgers on my gas grill.
I ran into an issue where I was getting a LOT of excess grease on the top of the griddle which was preventing the burger from sticking and browning properly, so i wasn't getting the crispy lacy edges. More like deep fried (which was still good, just not what I'd planned).
How can I get rid of this excess grease so each burger will brown properly? It's wicked heavy and wicked hot (it was hard to handle an hour after I stopped), so picking it up and dumping isn't a great option.
To be clear, I'm not talking about cleaning it after. I mean between batches.

I would just blot the grease up with a paper towel as suggested. I tend to use 80/20 burger. Going leaner could lend to a drier burger if you're going for anything past med rare/ med well

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I see this is an older thread, but when I was using one, I used a turkey baster to suck up some of the extra grease and then squirted into a discarded pickle jar with a few discarded paper towels to be sent to the trash, unless it was bacon grease, then it falls into a very different category and gets saved. Ha Ha.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRKsmoking
All good answers , wonder how they faired out.

David
I've been using a paper towel, which works pretty well. I just keep some tongs nearby so I don't burn my hand. You just have do it after every burger (not sure I can fit more than 2 patties) so it's a bit annoying, but it gives the griddle time to reheat between.

I've been using a paper towel, which works pretty well. I just keep some tongs nearby so I don't burn my hand. You just have do it after every burger (not sure I can fit more than 2 patties) so it's a bit annoying, but it gives the griddle time to reheat between.
good to hear that it's working for you!

I have a 14X20 CI griddle that I bought to use on grill. The soaking grease thing just sucks.
I ground off the edge in a spot on one side. Then elevated the other side and let it pour on the coals or put a pan under to catch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky