Exactly what are Pork Back Ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good point Al. I have come to that conclusion and have noticed many include the statement to their posts that Internal temperature trumps cooking time because it determines when the meat is done. The speed and what has been done to the meat as it is getting to that IT will determine the tenderness and moistness of the meat.

Thanks again.

Well, I am being delayed a little because my Thermoworks Smoke has not arrived yet. Not their fault, I ordered it Friday but didn't think about it being to late to get out that day and they are closed on Saturday. That's ok. But since this Masterbuilt with the one big eye has been here in the living room staring at me I have begun to talk to it. We are setting up quite a few plans for this summer.

Well, when the meat probes arrive I will let everyone know how the first smoke turned out. That rub should have had plenty of time to do it's thing by then.

Tom

Point for asking the question I had! Kroger running these back ribs now for $1.99/lb...

zwiller, I am not sure you are asking a question or not but I shop Kroger and the pics in post #1 are from Kroger. The "Pork Back Ribs are Baby Back Ribs. I am new to this but I would think $199/lb would be a really good price.

Al, Please clarify regarding IT from your post. I can totally see matching IT from one smoke to the next for consistant results. I'd like your "perfect temp for baby backs. Also, how do you check? Are you testing with the tip of an instant read thermometer? Or, have you figured out how to attach and monitor with a Maverick or similar dual thermometers?

Thanks

zwiller, I am not sure you are asking a question or not but I shop Kroger and the pics in post #1 are from Kroger. The "Pork Back Ribs are Baby Back Ribs. I am new to this but I would think $199/lb would be a really good price.

No questions, just thanking you for posting. At my store they have these next to ones actually labelled "babybacks" which are also "on sale" for $4.99/lb. These are smaller and more uniform. Just to clarify, the back loin ribs do not need to be dressed or anything, right? I can find "pork spareribs" for $.99/lb but they need to be KC trimmed.

While I haven't followed Al's guide to the letter I did keep the membrane on the last batch and the membrane does get zapped off on the grill. Turned out great! Not sure it was an marked improvement per se but sure beat having to fool with it and waste a bunch of paper towels!

The only thing I did was to pull the membrane off with (one) paper towel. No trimming was needed. I will have to say that all ribs are not equal when it comes to removing the membrane.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky