Everything tastes the same

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinJohan

Original poster
Aug 13, 2021
I got a standard bullet smoker last year but thus far have been very disappointed with my smoking efforts. The main issue is that everything tastes the same, regardless of the wood chips and/or rub I use. I was thinking it might be the charcoal smoke that was overpowering the wood chips & rub but I debunked that theory. The last few times I made sure that I do not add any charcoal to the smoker if it is still giving off any smoke.

What is the secret that the meat gets its flavor from the chips and rub and not some generic smoker taste?

My repertoire is growing and to date I have smoked ribs, sausage, steak, chicken, brisket, mac and cheese, etc. Ribs are hands-down my favorite!

First thing I see is the use of chips. They burn up quickly if you put them directly on the hot charcoal. Try wood chunks or small splits.

Next we would need some more information to really help you out. Like what type of bullet smoker, how are you adding coals and how many, and when are you putting the meat on? Lastly can you describe the "tastes all the same" - is it a bitter taste or do you mean hotdogs taste like prime rib.

Chris

Welcome to the Forum From South Carolina's Thoroughbred Country.

Here is a link from a 2016 post which might help you. The method is called the Minion Method. The post has good instructions along with pictures of the procedures. Quick question | Smoking Meat Forums - The Best Barbecue Discussion Forum On Earth!

Also, run a search of the Forum threads using the search icon in the upper right corner of your screen. There is a LOT OF INFORMATION on this Forum

Hang on for more info and better comments/instructions from the folks here who are a lot more knowledgeable than I on this subject. 🍻
John

Like Chris mentioned what do you mean by generic smoke taste, to me cherry chips wont taste like cherry, same with apple, hickory etc. Some will have a stronger smoke flavor then others. This is my opinion. What temps are you smoking at. Do you put your chips in a tinfoil pouch with some holes so they'll smolder and not burn right up. Not familiar with your smoker so I'm just throwing some things out there.

I bet bad smoke is responsible for giving everything a similar flavor. The easiest trick to test the smoke is to take a whiff near the top vent. If the smoke is strong or bitter smelling, the food is picking up that flavor. The exhaust smoke should be light and smell good.

Chips are often overly dried before packaging so they don't mold during transporting and storage. Plus, they burn up pretty fast. Try chunks, or chunks that have been split in half. And try putting your flavor wood in the bottom of the charcoal basket. This way coals will be hot when they reach the wood. Often chunks added atop some new coals will smolder, and produce dirty smoke.

Like already said, Too Heavy of any species of wood will give you a harsh flavor.
Other than that the only differences I usually taste is the strength of the smoke. I couldn't tell you which wood was used, by the flavor.
Mesquite will be the strongest if used like the others, then Hickory, and so on. The strength of the Smoke flavor will be the only real thing to compare. IMHO.
And Remember A light smoke for a long time can be Awesome, but a heavy smoke for even a short time can be terrible!!

Bear

Like already said, Too Heavy of any species of wood will give you a harsh flavor.
Other than that the only differences I usually taste is the strength of the smoke. I couldn't tell you which wood was used, by the flavor.
Mesquite will be the strongest if used like the others, then Hickory, and so on. The strength of the Smoke flavor will be the only real thing to compare. IMHO.
And Remember A light smoke for a long time can be Awesome, but a heavy smoke for even a short time can be terrible!!

Bear
Bear, not many people will be as honest as your are, but there is a lot of fact in your comment. We all have our favorite woods, and favorite charcoal too.... but that is because we like end results from the various combinations. I can tell mesquite from alder. And probably mesquite from about anything. And because I use a lot of pecan and cherry, I might be able to tell them apart most of the time. But to pick out cherry or apple or peach is very hard in a clean burning fire.

I put wood into two categories, nut wood and fruit wood. Right now for example I have hickory, pecan and cherry on hand. So I make the best of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRKsmoking
I am in agreement with others who theorize heavy smoke is the issue. You may be laying such heavy and possibly dirty smoke that it overpowers the flavors of the rubs and meat.

Where has this forum be all my (smoking) life?!? Thanks for all the input, it is starting to make some sense... I definitely think I am over smoking everything. The big question now is - how much smoke? Where I live, smoking your own meat is not popular (yet) and as a result I can only get my hands on imported Weber wood chips (no chunks unfortunately). I have tried adding the chips directly to the charcoal and also using a tinfoil pouch but going forward I feel the tinfoil pouch might be the best way to go.

What would the recommendation be for something simple like chicken? How much chips, how often?

Attachments

• 20200906_060535566_iOS.jpg
    20200906_060535566_iOS.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to the Forum From South Carolina's Thoroughbred Country.

Here is a link from a 2016 post which might help you. The method is called the Minion Method. The post has good instructions along with pictures of the procedures. Quick question | Smoking Meat Forums - The Best Barbecue Discussion Forum On Earth!

Also, run a search of the Forum threads using the search icon in the upper right corner of your screen. There is a LOT OF INFORMATION on this Forum

Hang on for more info and better comments/instructions from the folks here who are a lot more knowledgeable than I on this subject. 🍻
John

Thanks John, as it turned out, I have tried the minion method a few times (just did not know it was called that). In my experience, newly lighted charcoal gives off a lot of smoke and smell. The smoke/smell only disappears when the charcoal has been burning for a while and has reached temperature. By using the minion method, don't you think the charcoal will continue to give off bad smoke? That is why I started to light my charcoal outside my smoker and only add it to the basket once I am sure all the smoke is gone.

Where has this forum be all my (smoking) life?!? Thanks for all the input, it is starting to make some sense... I definitely think I am over smoking everything. The big question now is - how much smoke? Where I live, smoking your own meat is not popular (yet) and as a result I can only get my hands on imported Weber wood chips (no chunks unfortunately). I have tried adding the chips directly to the charcoal and also using a tinfoil pouch but going forward I feel the tinfoil pouch might be the best way to go.

What would the recommendation be for something simple like chicken? How much chips, how often?
hopefully you'll get your problem solved, just watch with chicken it will take on a lot of smoke quickly, but not familiar with your smoker cant really say how much chips you'll need to add, i would start with a pouch full and see how long that last, it may be enough to get some good smoke flavor on chicken, now with ribs when i do them i don't wrap and add smoke the whole time. you just don't want smoke billowing out, you should barely see the smoke coming out but be able to smell it.

Since it hasn't been mentioned, I'll bring up the possibility of your using bad charcoal? No way should it be "Match Light" or anything with added fuel in it. And I'm a big proponent of Lump over briquettes, though others are happy with certain (e.g. Royal Oak) briquettes.

For smoking wood, if all you can get is chips, I'd recommend NOT putting them direct on the coals. A small cast iron fry pan on the coals, or even 2-3 old soup cans works best for controlling chip burn time and burn temperature. And using a "smoke tube" (more at water pan level--not in the coals) may help too.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky