Espresso Maker Suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I had a Nespresso, didn't care for it .. I've tried a number of things, and keep going back to a stovetop Moka pot. They consistently make the best coffee to my taste.

I had a Nespresso, didn't care for it .. I've tried a number of things, and keep going back to a stovetop Moka pot. They consistently make the best coffee to my taste.
I have used a Bialetti for years.

I think I am going to enjoy this Breville. It is taking quite a bit of dialing in to get the right shot. But I'm getting there. It's like...smoking meat.

Reactions: kuroki
But way easier! You only have to be able to focus for 45 seconds to grind and pull a good shot. And if you screw it up, far less to cry over.
Very true! Actually, the Smart Grinder Pro that came with it, I pulled off the top burr and adjusted it finer, and I am getting closer to the perfect shot now.

I've had a Gaggia baby for about 25 years. It replaced a POS steam powered Krups unit.
Very little maintenance on the Gaggia well from my viewpoint. Portafilter handle, steam valve, basket gasket twice and at least 6 o-rings on the steamer wand.
I use distilled water only. Did the math and much cheaper than using the descale chemical and much easier on the machine.
I had 3 different grinders that didn't produce a decent espresso. I get mine ground at a local coffee shop here in FL. I measure into 1/4# portions and vac seal and do not freeze. At home in MN, I buy the beans from a coffee shop attached to a grocery store and use the grocery store grinder to make it to my liking. Vac seal and do not freeze.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
20 years ago I purchased a Saeco espresso machine from Costco and it was pricey: $800-900 or so and am still using it to this day. I figure if I went to a coffee place for a couple of cups a day for each of us, at $3 per cup I've saved over $40k - at least that's how I rationalize my purchase.

My wife had me purchase a Nespresso Virtuo for our fiver and I must say it makes the best coffee outside of a coffee shop I've ever tasted. Perfect crema and a wide variety of coffee pods to choose from. The reason I like the Virtuo over my first Nespresso is that the pods come in all kinds of flavors and cup volumes: 5, 7,14,18 ounce sizes (my prior machine only dispensed one size). The machine reads the barcode on the lip of the pod and dispenses the perfect amount of water for the size of that pod. I've used Nespresso for many years and although the machines don't last as long as my Saeco, they are relatively inexpensive. The Virtuo is about $139. The downside of the Nespresso system is that you can only purchase the pods online. I put up with it however, because it makes the missus happy, and as is well known "a happy wife means a happy life"

Reactions: Displaced Texan
My wife had me purchase a Nespresso Virtuo for our fiver and I must say it makes the best coffee outside of a coffee shop I've ever tasted.
I may have to break down and get a Nespresso. The cost of pods has kept me but maybe I will splurge. Will probably look for a refurbished one.

Nespressos are good. I liken it to Traeger vs stick burning offset. Does a good job and very easy.

We had a Nespresso in the Challenger 604 I flew several years ago.

Found a new Nespresso Virtuo Next for $110. Box is ripped but everything still in plastic and has the milk frother. Now to order some pods. Another rabbit hole.

I going to go ahead an buy an open box I found. Any suggestions on which pods to try?
My wife likes Melisio quite a bit, but recommends getting a variety of sleeves (of pods) to try to find your favorite coffee. Her favorite size is the 230 ml pod because it fills her big mug. She also waits to order for their promotions during which they offer things like "by 7 and get 1 free" or "buy 10 and get two free". They also offer interesting flavored coffees like Deep chocolate, etc., half-caff, and de-caff.

I personally like using my old Saeco because I'm a tightwad and the coffee to me tastes much better when it is less expensive :-)

I may have to break down and get a Nespresso. The cost of pods has kept me but maybe I will splurge. Will probably look for a refurbished one.
Yes, they are expensive compared to ones like Keurig, but in my wife's opinion, much better because you end up with what looks (and tastes) like a professionally prepared Italian coffee (if you like that sort of thing).

My latte art I made this morning. It's a brisket.

IMG_1470.JPG

Note there are two Nespresso technologies:
https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/choose-your-technology
I believe the original's patent has run out since you can find knock-off's at the $50 price point for the machine and 40cents for the pods, which are a "conical section" in shape. They make either a traditional (couple-ounce) espresso or a 5-ounce cup of strong coffee.
The Vertuo uses hemispherical pods with, as noted, a bar code under the lip that is read as the thing is spun up to control the amount of water, etc. Nespresso controls the machines and pods so the entry point is $150 for the machine and $1 per pod. You do get more/better crema with the Vertuo but if you're on a budget the Original knock-offs make a far superior cup of coffee than any K-cup machine (IMO).

ADDED: also the Vertuo makes an 8oz and 14oz option for those who like a weaker (more normal?) cup of coffee...for the K-cup type of customer.

PSS: Nespresso must be starting to license others to make the Vertuo. Here's a DeLonghi (at a lower price) but still branded Nespresso:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nespresso-Vertuo-Plus-Coffee-and-Espresso-Maker-by-De-Longhi-Black/622343372

Last edited:
ADDED: also the Vertuo makes an 8oz and 14oz option for those who like a weaker (more normal?) cup of coffee...for the K-cup type of customer.
I have the Vertuo Next comig. I order some of each size. I going to buy a refill kit and refill them. Trick will be finding the right coffee.

Note there are two Nespresso technologies:
https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/choose-your-technology
I believe the original's patent has run out since you can find knock-off's at the $50 price point for the machine and 40cents for the pods, which are a "conical section" in shape. They make either a traditional (couple-ounce) espresso or a 5-ounce cup of strong coffee.
The Vertuo uses hemispherical pods with, as noted, a bar code under the lip that is read as the thing is spun up to control the amount of water, etc. Nespresso controls the machines and pods so the entry point is $150 for the machine and $1 per pod. You do get more/better crema with the Vertuo but if you're on a budget the Original knock-offs make a far superior cup of coffee than any K-cup machine (IMO).

PSS: Nespresso must be starting to license others to make the Vertuo. Here's a DeLonghi (at a lower price) but still branded Nespresso:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nespress...d-Espresso-Maker-by-De-Longhi-Black/622343372
I got the Nespresso Vertou open box on ebay. Was surprised they included a box of 12 mixed pods. Really nice of them. I just had the Intenso and it was really good. Nespresso order was missing the pour overs but they suppose to send. I will be trying my hand at refilling pods.

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky