Espresso Maker Suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I been on the search for an Espresso Maker. I have a cheap $30 one. Been noticing most the grounds are still dry after brewing. Want to get a better one. I was considering the Mr. Coffee One-Touch CoffeeHouse Espresso Maker and Cappuccino Machine until found out about the cleaning for the milk stuff. Probably better to just buy a milk frother. So much stuff out there and expensive. Would to stay under $200. Any recommendations?

Reactions: bigfurmn
Went down this road a few times and researched heavily before I pulled the trigger. It can get real expensive to do properly. I would take a look at some Nespresso machines for best bang. The cliff notes to legit espresso are pressurized portafilter, good grinder, proper grind size, and tamp. To really compete with a decent coffe shop I think you are around $500-600 on the low side. Look at the Gaggia Baby and Baratz Vistuoso grinder. I went with the Gaggia Classic and bought GOOD pre ground espresso made by Lavazza. We found the frothing to be unneccesary and just heated the milk up in the microwave. In espresso forums etc the grinder is well known to be more important than the espresso machine itself. Slight changes in grind size make a large impact on your results. Happy to expound if need be. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Retired Spook
oh man...this can be an expensive path... I was given a steam powered one from a friend who gave it up, then i wanted better so i upgraded, it eventually died, after that went to the Starbucks and bought one there (this was 20 years ago when they sold them - i dont remember the actual brand) it was about $400...but still a PITA. finally just said F-it and went back to brewed coffee with no regrets.

oh man...this can be an expensive path... I was given a steam powered one from a friend who gave it up, then i wanted better so i upgraded, it eventually died, after that went to the Starbucks and bought one there (this was 20 years ago when they sold them - i dont remember the actual brand) it was about $400...but still a PITA. finally just said F-it and went back to brewed coffee with no regrets.
So just made some strong coffee. Nuked a little cream and added some sugar then whip with my thing I use to make bullet coffee. Added together and pretty darn good.

I will still use my French press when I am in the mood for something bolder. Way better than Keurig.

Forgot about this and there are some HUGE fans:

Reactions: Retired Spook
Nespresso is my next, my Ninja is struggling.

My regular coffee is perculator with Arbuckles perk grind

My wife came back from a trip one time - she drinks alot of Lattes when traveling and was like "we need an espresso machine" - thank god i killed that idea with this option - Milk Frother

My wife came back from a trip one time - she drinks alot of Lattes when traveling and was like "we need an espresso machine" - thank god i killed that idea with this option - Milk Frother
Was getting ready to order one. I been spending to much time researching this. Just need pick one and with it I guess.

Our neighbor put a Gaggia Classic out on the curb. I took it home and fired it up and saw it leaked steam around the portafilter. Bought a new gasket for it and it was good as new. Then started researching what it takes to make the perfect espresso in some of the forums - weighing the beans, getting a new grinder, measuring temp, pressure gauge for tamping (really?) etc. Probably didn't need to do any of that, but I obsess over these types of things so...I sold it on Ebay and still drinking plain coffee from our Ninja machine :)
Our friends have a Nespresso and it makes a pretty fine cup of espresso and cappuccino too.

Reactions: zwiller
I've been using an Aeropress for years. I tried a French press but this is faster and IMO makes better coffee. It doen't get any simpler. Turn hot water kettle on, dump a scoop of fine ground beans in, add hot water, stir it for 20-30 seconds and press. Dump grounds and rinse. Add more hot water for regular or leave as is for espresso. Get a milk frother if you want lattes. I run a few scoops thru and cool it in the fridge for iced coffees. All told with Aeropress, hot water kettle, and frother its right around $100. Its probably cheaper on Amazon but I can't see Amazon links.
https://aeropress.com/why-aeropress/

Wow. I am just happy with the k cups and black rifle coffee.

My dad has this one or a very similar one. Makes very good espresso. 15 bars is a good pressure number. My Bialetti brews at 1.5 bars and makes good espresso.

Oh yeah. Espresso is higher maintenance. Small holes and parts that can get clogged from scale and the screen will get funked up from oils from the beans. Expect to descale and clean semi frequent if you go this route. That said, if you dial your setup in and grind fresh you will be rewarded with cafe level or better stuff. There were times like holidays when we made stuff for friends and family and they were blown away. I often shook my head in disbelief how good it was and I am brutally picky. Last little tidbit that I found was that many espresso nuts do not use “espresso roast” beans. I fell in love with a vienna roast from local café. When I finally pull the trigger on a Nespresso I will update the thread and give it a serious review. I already know the pods are a critical choice.

Oh yeah. Espresso is higher maintenance. Small holes and parts that can get clogged from scale and the screen will get funked up from oils from the beans. Expect to descale and clean semi frequent if you go this route. That said, if you dial your setup in and grind fresh you will be rewarded with cafe level or better stuff. There were times like holidays when we made stuff for friends and family and they were blown away. I often shook my head in disbelief how good it was and I am brutally picky. Last little tidbit that I found was that many espresso nuts do not use “espresso roast” beans. I fell in love with a vienna roast from local café. When I finally pull the trigger on a Nespresso I will update the thread and give it a serious review. I already know the pods are a critical choice.
Think I spent another hour this morning looking. I don't really want to go the pod route but maybe should re-think it.

I've been using an Aeropress for years. I tried a French press but this is faster and IMO makes better coffee. It doen't get any simpler. Turn hot water kettle on, dump a scoop of fine ground beans in, add hot water, stir it for 20-30 seconds and press. Dump grounds and rinse. Add more hot water for regular or leave as is for espresso. Get a milk frother if you want lattes. I run a few scoops thru and cool it in the fridge for iced coffees. All told with Aeropress, hot water kettle, and frother its right around $100. Its probably cheaper on Amazon but I can't see Amazon links.
https://aeropress.com/why-aeropress/
So I think you talked me into this. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Reactions: Norwester55
The way I see espresso is high risk : high reward. I already gave you my hack: buying pregound espresso so that makes it fairly forgiving but you take a hit in quality. The question is preground in the Gaggia vs Nespresso. Might be a close battle. There are some pretty good cheaper pre ground coffees that worked well for me and best place to buy is Amazon in quantity packs. Cafe Bustelo was tasty and REALLY cheap but our go to is below. As I said though, if went to the cafe and had beans ground it was much better than preground. I typically did this day before around holidays and special occasions. Not sure if this matters, but your house will definitely take on a cafe smell after routinely brewing and people would remark on it. I did a little digging and found a post in an espresso forum that really resonates my take:

"here's the scoop, as I see it:

Nespresso makes a pretty good drink, very reliably, time after time, with very little effort. And for all practical purposes, the little capsules never go stale.

You can get a better drink out of a Gaggia Classic, but most people (not most people here, I hasten to add, just 'most people') won't. Because to make a better drink than Nespresso, you basically have to become a real barista. You have to become something of a coffee nutter, like us. You have to buy fresh beans on a regular basis. You have to grind them yourself. You have to get good at little skills like dosing, leveling and tamping, and you have to do all of these things consistently, not just once in a while when you feel like making extra special effort.

If you are not a coffee nutter, willing (nay, eager) to do all those things, fairly obsessively, in order to get your coffee just-so, then the Gaggia will, in general, produce less-tasty results than the Nespresso (and can easily produce downright-bad drinks). And the Gaggia will always be more effort to use and clean up than the Nespresso.

If you simply want pretty decent drinks and not a new hobby, I'd suggest the Nespresso.

If you do see yourself being or becoming at least something of a coffee hobbyist, then the Gaggia will serve you well. But buying it will be only the beginning of your journey."

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky