erased

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Why would you go through the trouble to make a more complicated vent system? What would be the benefit?

I would KISS it. Just my $.02.

Q

I recommend building one first and then after a few smokes on it you can always change the design or even build a new one. Most of the parts can be stripped off and reused and drums themselves are fairly cheap once you find a source for them. 

I recommend building one first and then after a few smokes on it you can always change the design or even build a new one. Most of the parts can be stripped off and reused and drums themselves are fairly cheap once you find a source for them. 
+1 What Solar said. If you use standard plumbing fittings and just dry fit them you can run it see how you like it then modify to your hearts content till you find the configuration you like.

I have found learning mine, that once it is at desired temp. just small adjustments to the ball valve is all I've needed to do.  These things are pretty basic as far as burning goes.  I made sure my coal basket is on legs 3" high and my intake pipes are at 2" above the bottom of the barrel and the air flows right up under the middle of my fire just fine. 

If it is a matter of not wanting to bend over (it can be hard for me with my back some days, not just lazy) you may consider putting riser pipe on all of your intakes and use valves on all (cost permitting mine cost $9.97 plus tax) of them I have thought about doing this on mine, I find myself loosening one or 2 caps instead of removing them when the valve is full open to bump the temp up. Also, you may install valves without the risers with the handle pointing away from the drum in the open position and use your foot to open and close them which would give you ultimate control at each intake. 

If you are using 4 intake pipes, I think the 1/2" pipes give PLENTY of air flow.

As far as loosing the caps, I don't worry, the caps I bought for my 1/2" pipes were $.99 each.

Keep in mind I'm only starting out with mine too, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Good luck,

Q

PS with the wind I have been smoking in, it is almost impossible to get an even 360 intake, perhaps your idea may remedy that, can you post a sketch of what your trying to do? My simple mind can't quite grasp how you were wanting to connect all 4 vents to a single valve.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky