Encapsulated Citric Acid?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
I’m getting ready for my first try at Kabanosy and am curious if ECA would be good in it.
If so, how much for a 5# batch?
Hopefully the rain will go under us....

I don't like it. Just tried some in a batch of snack sticks and I don't like the citrus after taste at all. I guess its supposed to be the tangy fermented taste. My sticks aren't terrible but the next batch I make will be without the ECA that's for sure. I would say your little 5 pound batch would be perfect to try it on and see for yourself.

My info says .06oz or 1.70 grams per pound. General info states 3 oz per 25 pounds.

I don't like it. Just tried some in a batch of snack sticks and I don't like the citrus after taste at all. I guess its supposed to be the tangy fermented taste. My sticks aren't terrible but the next batch I make will be without the ECA that's for sure. I would say your little 5 pound batch would be perfect to try it on and see for yourself.

My info says .06oz or 1.70 grams per pound. General info states 3 oz per 25 pounds.
Thanks for the quick response, dogs. Just getting ready to mix and grind. I’m going to pass on the ECA since this is my first Kabanosy and I don’t want to screw it up. I’ll wait to try it on Kielbasa or Bratwurst.
You know how it is when you get something new, you look for reasons to use it LOL

Yep, just can't wait to try the new thing.

In case you don't know or maybe forgot DON'T grind after mixing in the ECA. The grinder can break up the tiny little capsules releasing the CA and basically wrecking the batch. I waited to mix the ECA in my batch until I was stuffing it, mix up everything else and let it set in the fridge overnight though. I might have went to the extreme.

Glad you reminded me. I remember reading that. 99% of the time I mix after the grind anyway. This recipe I’m (mostly) following called for mixing before grinding. Not sure why. Maybe for texture.

I just used it for the first time on a batch of snack sticks and my wife and I love the tang. I hand mixed it in just before stuffing. You could cut back on the quantity if your concerned it might be too much.

If I use it again I will try cutting back some but once I new what I was tasting I realized that the taste was the same in commercial sticks that I didn't really like. Its not spit it out its gross type of deal but a why have it in there as it does nothing for me deal if that makes sense. Could be I never eat enough fermented meats and never got a taste for it?

Ironically, I was working up a batch of sticks when this thread popped up. As a result, I cut the ECA by a third. Be interesting to compare the results with the last batch.

Sticks turned out well. I like the 1/3 reduction in ECA. The tang on the back end is still there, but it's now more of an accent than a full blown flavor component. It will be interesting to see how it develops over time.

I've seen different brands of ECA give different ratios. There is 1.5 ounces per 25 pounds and 3 ounces per 25 pounds. The LEM ECA is 3 ounces per 25 pounds, Waltons is 3 to 4 ounces per 25 pounds, Ask the Meatman is 3 ounces per 25 pounds, but Butcher & Packer is 1.5 ounces per 25 pounds. I currently have the Butcher & Packer product and visually it looks like the Waltons & LEM product. I have used the B&P at the "normal" ratio of 3 ounces to 25 pounds and it tastes just like the others do at that ratio. So for me, it is the 3 ounces per 25 pound ratio.

For sticks, I run 3.4 grams of ECA per pound.

Also the twang will mellow after the sticks sit for 24 hours. And if you have never used ECA before, do NOT add it to the meat until right before stuffing and then smoke immediately. DO NOT add it to the mix and let it sit. Also only mix ECA by hand and do not overwork the meat & ECA as you do not want to break open the little fat capsules in the mix. The fat will melt at around 140* and release the ECA into the meat which should be well set by that temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky