Elk meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Summer sausage would be what I would make and if it needed fat it would be beef, not everything needs to taste like pork imo lol

Reactions: flatbroke
I've eaten deer meat my whole life, but never had Elk. Congrats on that and I know you'll do it justice however you decide to prepare it...

Elk is the best. Depending on whats in the bag, look for steaks, roasts for jerky or stew. I'd try to use as much of the meat as possible as just elk. Summer sausage pretty much all tastes the same. But there is nothing better than an elk steak.

Got hooked up with 20 pounds of elk meat by a friend of mine. Time to decide what type of sausage I’m gonna make, Bologna, summer, linked or sticks. View attachment 527307
Congrats on the elk meat!

Whatever you decide to make I'm in for seeing how it turns out.

I've made plenty of venison brats from whitetail deer meat where I go 80% pure venison grind and 20% pork back fat. I use the LEM's seasoning and they come out to be the best brats I've had anywhere in the world (but I haven't been to Germany to try em there).

I harvest, prep, and process my deer super well so they are the greatest tasting ever. Also I shoot mostly does and young spikes that trophy ranches want removed which means even better tasting meat!

Venison from well harvested, prepped, processed, and from animals that have been eating good sources of food always tastes like a slightly milder beef to me. So anything you like as a beef sausage (bologna for instance) would be good with venison meat and the proper fat selection (beef or pork).

I can't wait to see what you make of it! :D

Ordered up some Red Barn Bologna mix from Owens BBQ. Looking forward to trying it with Elk.

Reactions: tallbm
That is sacrilegious!

That meat is way to good to be ground into a paste and stuffed into a casing.

Elk is by far my families favorite game meat.

I make burger with the tough cuts, half of it is just elk and fat back, the other half is the same with some ground bacon tossed into the mix.

Every single person that has tried it said the same thing, this is much better than beef.

I'll take a nice thick elk steak over bison or beef every single day, no questions asked.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky