Elephant bombs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fishonshawn

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 10, 2019
Did some elephant bombs up for din tonight. This was my second time doing them and they are hit with my wife. We both love these.

right when they went on.
20190916_160408.jpg
internal temp is good and ready for a slathering of bbq sauce.
20190916_163113.jpg

Here they are all sauced up. I added the sauce while they were on the grill and let em go another 10mins.

20190916_163947.jpg

And here is one cut in half.
20190916_165016.jpg

Oh and for anyone who doesnt know. Took pieces of chicken breast and smashed then flat. My wife took regular cut bacon and stretched it out. cut jalapeno in half and grill the pepper a little. stuff the jalapenos halves with cream cheese. Sprinkle some rub of your choice on them and put a bead of sriracha down the length of them. Wrap those in the flattened chicken and then wrap that in the bacon. Sprinkle more rub on and put in smoker or grill. I had my smoker turned up to 375 but I think I'll run it hotter next time. Maybe all the way up to 500. I want the bacon to crisp up a little more. I was checking them every 15 mins but last time I took temp they had hit 180's and some in the 190's. Little hotter than I wanted. I added the bbq sauce at that time and let them go a little longer. I'm hoping next time running them hotter the bacon will crisp up before the internal temp is to hot. I dont think it will dry out covered in bacon but if I can get the bacon crispy with the internal temp right around 170 already sauced up thatd be great.

Last edited:
Damned if these don't look good...

next time try precooking your bacon a little bit first before wrapping... This will get you towards your goal... just like precooking the pepper on the grill .. After awhile you will get to know how much to precook the bacon so that the finished product will turn out the way your wanting it ...

How well done is the pepper ?? Myself I like em well done (soft) in my ABT's ...

Damned if these don't look good...

next time try precooking your bacon a little bit first before wrapping... This will get you towards your goal... just like precooking the pepper on the grill .. After awhile you will get to know how much to precook the bacon so that the finished product will turn out the way your wanting it ...

How well done is the pepper ?? Myself I like em well done (soft) in my ABT's ...

The pepper is pretty soft. Not much crunch. As for pre cooking the bacon...not sure that would work only because it's so hard to wrap it. The first time I made these I used thick cut bacon cause that's what we had and it would not stretch. It was a pain in the arse. This time I got regular bacon and it stretched out really good. If you pre cooked it a little though it would shrink up and you need all the stretch you can get. I still even used 2 pieces on some of them to try to get the ends closed so the cream cheese wouldnt run out. In the future I think I'll just make sure there is enough bacon for 2 pieces for every one.

Last edited:
Yummy! Don't care what you call them....I'd FIGHT an elephant for one!
Nicely done.
Don

Instead, why not smoke until a few degrees of where you want them, then slide 'em under the broiler for a quick crisp up?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky