Electric Smoker won't heat up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did you end up replacing the disconnects? I'm having the exact same issue. I'd like to know what you used to fix your issue.
Supco T1113 lugs on amazon for 14-16 gauge wire with barrels that won't crimp so solder. Difficult to slide on the element spaded because it's high heat nickle plated steel vs aluminum. Some solder directly to the element spades because they don't get hot enough to melt the solder.

The advice to ohm out the element is always good before just replacing connections. To quantify that:
1. Resistance of either element connection to the case ground should be GREATER THAN 25 kilo-ohms.
2. Resistance reading between the two element connections, with all other wiring removed, should be between 12-18 ohms. (15 ohms corresponds to a 1000 watt element.)

First, verify the meter reads 0 ohms when touching the leads together. The leads should be shiny. The element connections must be shiny too when taking these measurements so you might have to file or scrape a bit to accomplish that. Otherwise your resistance readings are not valid.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky