Electric smoker with a brain to do the thinking.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron eb

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Baltimore
I have been smoking meat for a couple of years now using a Brinkman bullet smoker with some mods.

Life starts to happen and I don't have the time to tend to a fire for hours.

I am thinking of buying an electric smoker along the line of a Bradley so I can set it and for get it.

Can anyone make any recommendations as far as a good unit to buy. I have a budget of about $300.00.

Thank You.

Get a super basic MES Analog, 1500 Watt,  $150 or less, check Walmart for price best place usually, , Auber electronic control,and get a AMAZEN AMNPS pellet tray, further, secondarily,  for lower temp range for cooler cooking, possible  "mailbox mod".

Search this forum and Google otherwise,  mostly for Auber controls, and Amazen.

There is in fact a sub forum for Amazen, I think in "Pellet smokers".

If you search, you will see Bradley is NOT recommended.

Marc

Last edited:

I have been smoking meat for a couple of years now using a Brinkman bullet smoker with some mods.

Life starts to happen and I don't have the time to tend to a fire for hours.

I am thinking of buying an electric smoker along the line of a Bradley so I can set it and for get it.

Can anyone make any recommendations as far as a good unit to buy. I have a budget of about $300.00.

Thank You.
I'm a fan of Masterbuilt electric smokers since it's the only smoker I've ever owned, a MES 30 Gen 1. You can get these for under $200. Here's the one I own:
Here's one with a window and a redesigned top controller for under $300 at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbu...-Window-and-Remote-Control-20070411/202461863

Here's a great deal on one of the new units if you have Amazon Prime. It's a 30-inch electric smoker.

If you prefer a 40-inch model it'll cost over $300. Here's a deal on a Generation 1 smoker at Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbuilt-40-in-Digital-Electric-Smoker-with-Window-20070311/206995539

With Masterbuilts, you want to stay away from the Generation 2 smokers that look like this:  Note that the controller is in the front and flush with the cabinet, The Gen 2.5 I linked to above has the front controller sitting above the cabinet. The Gen 1 smokers (which are overall very dependable) all have the controller on top and in the rear.

From my research I haven't found a better brand of electric smoker than Masterbuilt at these price points. You can also find Masterbuilt sold by other retailers online, unless you can find these smokers in a brick and mortar store near you. There are some smoker packages that come with 6 racks and a meat probe. Good luck.

Also, if I understand you, and what you want to achieve, (which is totally logical and realistic)  you could keep the Brinkman body, add a electric element,  add Auber, and AMNPS,  and be in great shape for around ballpark $325.

BEST bang for buck / ROI.  

Ask if interested.

No need to toss out what you got.      Marc

Last edited:
How does the MES 30/40 do in cold weather? Is it insulated?

Thanks for your help.

Brinkman and MES ANALOG (specifically) are not insulated.    

But they are double hollow wall pretty well reasonably tight.

Nice solid construction..

Cold weather I don't know. 

The MES "Digitals" are insulated, with some sorta foam.

Hence, I think, the lowered wattage element.   Marc

Last edited:

Bear - But you have a "Digital" one(s) that are insulated.

From what I recall of you.

???? 

Clarify please.    Marc
Yes---Mine is an "MES 40"---They are all insulated. MES = Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse.

The Analog Masterbuilt units are not "MES"---They are   "Masterbuilt Electric Analog Smoker". And I don't know if ANY of them are insulated.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky