Electric Smoker PID controller build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
After a painfully long development stage, I have finally finished the pre-production prototype of my electric smoker controller.

This controller is a plug and go controller. It has no bells and whistles just a simple PID controller running an SSR to control smoker temperatures.

This is designed for the Masterbuilt products but will control power to any kind of electric smoker that has 0.25" spade terminals on the heating element.

I will be putting together 3 production prototypes in the next 2 weeks. I will be looking for forum members to test and evaluate these prototypes.

I plan on running a dedicated thread for the evaluation process. If the evaluation goes well, I am planning on making these available for forum members. I will also be offering a DC output version for controlling blower fans and a blower adapter for 1 1/2" ball valves. Stay tuned....

MES_kit 02.jpg
MES_kit 03.jpg
MES_kit 05.jpg

SPECS:

PID Control
1200 Watts output
K-type thermocouple
25 Amp breaker

JC :emoji_cat:

I wish I had one of these on my MES 130. Had to exchange it the other day. If this controller goes out I might have to give you a holler. I’d be willing to swap out mine and run one of yours for feedback if you’d like. I do about 2 smokes a week, so it would get some use. I used to run a sweet PID on my brewing equipment years ago. Looks like a nice unit!

Reactions: JC in GB
Very nice. My MES is only 2 years old and works ok but not perfect by any means. Once you're up and running I would certainly be interested in purchasing one. As to building something myself I seem to have a mental block lol. Good luck!

Nice! Does the power cord with red insulated lugs have a ground to an access cover screw? I can't see it.

Nice! Does the power cord with red insulated lugs have a ground to an access cover screw? I can't see it.
The burner power cord is not grounded but the controller case is.

A good point. I will add a ground wire to ground the smoker cabinet along with the controller case. First build had controller bolted to smoker so no other ground was needed.

JC

Reactions: dr k and fivetricks
After a painfully long development stage, I have finally finished the pre-production prototype of my electric smoker controller.

This controller is a plug and go controller. It has no bells and whistles just a simple PID controller running an SSR to control smoker temperatures.

This is designed for the Masterbuilt products but will control power to any kind of electric smoker that has 0.25" spade terminals on the heating element.

I will be putting together 3 production prototypes in the next 2 weeks. I will be looking for forum members to test and evaluate these prototypes.

I plan on running a dedicated thread for the evaluation process. If the evaluation goes well, I am planning on making these available for forum members. I will also be offering a DC output version for controlling blower fans and a blower adapter for 1 1/2" ball valves. Stay tuned....

View attachment 448767View attachment 448768View attachment 448769

SPECS:

PID Control
1200 Watts output
K-type thermocouple
25 Amp breaker

JC :emoji_cat:

I have an Auber Model: WS-1510ELPM and not really crazy about it. It has too many bells and whistles. I just want a simple PID controller running an SSR to control smoker temperatures.
I am very interested in your PID, and since I have the Auber WS-1510ELPM I could give you and the members a true evaluate.
Keep me in mind, and when available , thanks

JC when you say plug and go are you saying ya just plug this in somewhere on my mes30, there's no rewiring. i won't have to go in the back of my smoker and start snipping wires. hope this doesn't seem like a dumb question but this sounds like something an idiot like myself can even hook up. I'll definitely be watching this.

I have an Auber Model: WS-1510ELPM and not really crazy about it. It has too many bells and whistles. I just want a simple PID controller running an SSR to control smoker temperatures.
I am very interested in your PID, and since I have the Auber WS-1510ELPM I could give you and the members a true evaluate.
Keep me in mind, and when available ,
thanks
You can select single step mode so you just input the temp and press set so no minutes to enter. I just turn on my Auber press set and C-1 comes up for cook temp. Change the temp and press set and done. That temp stays until you enter a different one.

Press and hold set 3 sec
"Lock" appears then press 3
The "Prg" appears before showing on or off
Select off
Press set

Reactions: MJB05615
JC when you say plug and go are you saying ya just plug this in somewhere on my mes30, there's no rewiring. i won't have to go in the back of my smoker and start snipping wires. hope this doesn't seem like a dumb question but this sounds like something an idiot like myself can even hook up. I'll definitely be watching this.

You have to remove the back cover and replace the wires on the heating element. Once that is done, you just plug the harness in the back of the unit.

Will certainly be keeping an eye on this thread.I've always said when the stock controller on my MES goes I'll be doing a PID.This looks very promising for someone who's electrically challenged like myself.

Reactions: pa42phigh
JC do you have any of these units ready to ship? I have a MB 40" Gen 2 that finally went kaput and I need to convert to PID.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky