Electric masterbuilt 30 in.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blackie ll

Original poster
Nov 16, 2016
I'm 82 years old and just purchase a masterbuilt elect and need all the help I can get. WOod chip is it best touse dry or too wet them? THanks for the help

I know the manual suggests soaking them, but it really does little to nothing for them. Most here say just save the time and trouble and use dry. I agree. Tried it a few times with chips and really about all that happened was I delayed the actual smoke by a few minutes. They did not last any longer nor did they impart any more perceivable smoke flavor.

Be aware that the smoke will only last about 45 mins to 1 hr and you have to reload if you want more. This is why most MES'ers use the AMPTS and pellets. Once you learn to use it, it can provide smoke for 6-8 hrs no problem.

yeahthat.gif

Al

Blackie -  Welcome !!  You ARE in the "right place" here.

Did you get an "Analog" model, or a "Digital" ?

Reason I ask is - Analog is 1500 Watts, Digital is about half that.

With Analog, I would soak.

With Digital, others will answer.

Also, ballpark, what temp do you want to have in your chamber?

Marc

Last edited:
I have read a fair amount about this, and most of the stuff I have read from people who  have studied the science say do not ever  soak chips.   while it may seem like it makes them last longer, the "smoke" that comes out at the beginning is mostly steam, so you aren't getting the smoldering wood smoke that gives food a great flavor.   

I am going to jump in here, just got the same smoker. I used wood chips And added charcoal, which seemed to work well. My problem was that when I used it, the grease created a terrible mess on the water pan and chip pan (burnt on grease). Anyone have suggestions on keeping this unit clean?

I also did not get as much smoke flavor as I wanted. I will try adding g chips every 45 minutes. I might try to get charcoal in there separately some how.

Smokymatt -  Fashion a drip tray using foil to catch drippings.

Make as small as possible and position correctly, so 99% of fat falls into it, but you minimally block the heat circulation.

I did a Turkey few days ago, did that.

My pan ended up covering 85% of the rack below, which definitely concerned me, but it surprising to me, turned out no problem.

The turkey was 13lb and took up way more rack than I anticipated, so the pan had to be big.

The pan does not have to cover the entire shadow footprint of the food, BUT big enough to catch off of the lowest dripping points of the food.

My manual says do NOT "cover racks" w foil.

So, I am not saying that, but to use it judiciously as in a house oven, only as "pan"

I consider my factory drip tray, to be the last catcher of errant drips.

NOT the bulk of juices..

Others will chime in.

Marc

Cool, I was thinking of trying your suggestion but was worried about heat & smoke blockage. Do you think a pre made foil pan would work well?

What time and temp did u your bird take? I am doing a 15 lber for thanks giving and will prob spatchcock it.

Blackie, I used mesquite chips bought at Lowe's. I would refill burner about every 45min. I have heard chunks will work as well, I gave yet to try chunks myself.

Marc      I purchased a digital, and I think I made a mistake!  Temp.  I'm  working between 225 and 250. I hope this machine will handle those temp. What do you think?

Marc      I purchased a digital, and I think I made a mistake!  Temp.  I'm  working between 225 and 250. I hope this machine will handle those temp. What do you think?

Of course a pre made pan is fine, but sized correctly.

Not too small to not catch all, and not much bigger than needed.

I think your chamber is same wxd as mine.

My shelves are 12 x 14 1/2.

My bird was 13 lb, and filled out the grate FULLY.

And thats why my driptray filled so much of lower shelf.

15 whole may be a problem.

Also, the Food Safety knowlegable guys here say 13 is about the limit to not be in temp danger zone too long.

That, combined w your cooking at lower temp (mine was cooked at about 290 - 300) may be not wise.

My ambient was 60f, w some rain during the cooking.

Mine took about  4 hours, breast was at 41f when put in smoker, had sat on counter few hours .

Seems to me your best bet is Spatchcock totally in two seperate halves, cook on two shelves one over the other, rotating a few times.

Others with more experience will chime in.  Marc

Blackie -  my Analog has 1500w, went to about 425 max on a 60degree cloudy day, with a little rain.

Your element is approx 1/2 thatwattage, but your's is insulated.

The Analog models are only the hollow wall w airspace.

So I dunno how hot yours will get.   Marc

Of course, "most" smoking is done under 250f, BUT the extra heating availability on demand  is great for poultry skin, faster initial warmup, and winter weather, etc.

Overall, NO question, after 100's of hours study here, I went w the Masterbuilt Analog w 1500w, and getting Auber electronics in future.

High heat ability, and dependable, very accurate electronics

BEST way to go , about $350 total.   Marc

$130 for smoker, $220 for Auber = $350

Blackie -  The only "mistake" you may have made (debatable) is buying a Masterbuilt w Masterbuilt electronics.

Masterbuilt is more than fine, probably best selling smoker line in US.

The "housing" (Unit itself), and racks, etc are best "Bang for Buck"

BUT, the electronics, uhhh, not so good.

They are apparently built on a Chinese shoestring budget, evidenced by MANY performance problems.

Some will say "I have one, used a 100 times, and all ok"

Sure, but the % of owners w problems is LARGE.

Substantially innacurate temp readings are common, and other problems less so, but definitely happen.

Keep studying this Forum under "electric smokers" mostly, you will see yourself.

Marc

Last edited:
Blackie -  The only "mistake" you may have made (debatable) is buying a Masterbuilt w Masterbuilt electronics.

Masterbuilt is more than fine, probably best selling smoker line in US.

The "housing" (Unit itself), and racks, etc are best "Bang for Buck"

BUT, the electronics, uhhh, not so good.

They are apparently built on a Chinese shoestring budget, evidenced by MANY performance problems.

Some will say "I have one, used a 100 times, and all ok"

Sure, but the % of owners w problems is LARGE.

Substantially innacurate temp readings are common, and other problems less so, but definitely happen.

Keep studying this Forum under "electric smokers" mostly, you will see yourself.

Marc
I wonder if anyone has bought a Mes smoker (cabinet only and racks etc.) with no electronics, wiring, chip tray, loader and no warrantee just a heating element. Then hookup a PID. Masterbuilt sends replacement cabinets all the time but wired. Getting the cabinet wired may be cheaper than not wired and only wiring in the emergency shut off button switch into the heating element circuit. I was curious on a price compared to the analog if it would be about the same price. Especially if you new you were going to PID it before you bought it.
-Kurt

Hi
I just seasoned my new Mastebuilt 30 and was planning on doing a brisket over night on Friday. My only concern is adding wood without baby sitting the unit. Any suggestions?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky