Eight whole Chickens and Blow torch nachos!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Every September I host a wood boat gathering aka "Messabout" at Paulina Lake here in Central Oregon. As the host on Saturday night I provide the main course for dinner. Typically there are 20-30 participants each year. The first year I did pulled pork sandwiches. I prepared everything in advance at home and re-heated the pork in my Dutch ovens at camp. The Second year on of the participants brought his portable home built pizza oven and we did pizza in the woods! This year I decided that I would haul the smoker up to the lake and smoke up whole chickens.  I determined that I would need 8 birds. I prepped and cleaned the birds at home. I mixed up a rub of SPOG with paprika rubbed the birds and vac packed them. Into the cooler they went for two days. I didn't get any photos of the smoke, to busy enjoying the weather, boats, and beer I guess. We put all eight in the GOSM by the lake side and let them do there thing at 275 until the IT said they were done. I did get a shot of the final product. It was gone really fast and all that was left was the bones! Haven't decided what the menu will be for next year, maybe ribs, brisket, who knows!

Eight Chickens!!!

Blow Torch Nachos, action shot!! Cheese, onion, chips, jalapenos, olives, yumm!

First of all, congrats on the chicken, they look terrific.  I would, however, like more info on the blowtorch nachos.  This sounds manly.

Well here it goes, pretty simple, thanks to our Cali friend Thorne for the idea!!

Disposable pan put a layer of chips down, then whatever toppings you have, then cheese. Take the torch (mine is self igniting) Melt the cheese,then repeat the layering and torching until the pan is full. Leave the torch near by in case you need a re-heat, usually not much of a problem, as they go quick with a crowd! Isn't playing with fire fun! You can also layer in warm re-fried beans, chicken, pulled pork,brisket, browned hamburger, sausage, all depends on the crowd! It is a fun thing to do while camping and almost as much fun as throwing dough in the woods!

That's not me, but my friend JetMan who brought his portable Pizza Oven a year ago to our gathering!

If that isn't a money shot I don't know what is!

Don't see a pizza oven in a campground very often, but that's how we roll! Anyone wanting to join in next year, book mark Sept 20-22 and bring a side dish!

Last edited:
My friend, may chime in here at some point, I believe he is a member or at least a lurker. I can tell you this, he welded up the base frame, and all the bricks fit in 5 gallon buckets! I'll ask him for some more info to post here. It is really cool, and makes great pizza! Here's another shot of it pumping out some smoke at the end of the cook...

I am very interested in the Pizza oven got any details on the build ??? Your smoke looks great !
Here I am, the infamous JetMan (aka Dan) builder and keeper of the wood fired pizza oven (and file cabinet smoker). Do not have any plans made up for her but I'll try and get something drawn up after the holidays, way too busy at work and home for the month.

Some specs:

Uses plain red house bricks, about 100. No mortar, only gravity holding it all together. Steel frame was made up of mostly scrap angle iron. Pizza is baked on the deck after the fire is pushed to the back. Works best at about 700 degrees and a pie takes less then five minutes from dough & cheese to burning the roof of your mouth!!

Dan

Hey there Jetman,

It sure makes some damn good pie! What are we going to do next September to top what we've already done!

Dunno Dirt, If I could find a local source for Raw Milk, I may have a few pounds of homemade cheesez and home cured meats to do another Pizza feast. Found a pic of a portable stainless pizza oven (somewhere on the net) that gives me ideas for a much lighter campground pizza producer, I even have a ton of stainless from scrap pile at work!

JetMan

Wow!!!! Jetman that thing looks like a locomotive! I've been looking for a used 22"-24" harrow plow disc for my next cooking project. Kond of hard to come by here in the rocky high desert of Oregon! Disco anyone?

Great looking chicken........ Blow torch nachos are fun to make.... We have done blow torch pizza where we grill the dough and then add hot sauce and topping and then the torch for the cheese......But I would much rather have the oven pizza. that is one nice oven....

Wow!!!! Jetman that thing looks like a locomotive! I've been looking for a used 22"-24" harrow plow disc for my next cooking project. Kond of hard to come by here in the rocky high desert of Oregon! Disco anyone?
Dirt,

Cherry City metals in Salem has stacks of harrow discs for sale, I bought one there for the base of my new wood stove (for the house). When closer to being finished, I'll post some "money shots" of it somewhere. Made from a 100# propane cylinder standing upright, harrow is welded to the where the valve was and stove is inverted from original position. Bottom 2/3 is the fire box, remaining 1/3 is an oven for baking. Both sections will have Glass doors.

Jetman<<<

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky