Editing Older Threads

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I swear I edited an oldish post the other day. Not so much today. Bummer

Chris

I have seen the keyboard issue and have reported it. Yes this is new about the editing and yes its permanent for now. That being said I am open for discussion on the topic. The reason we did it was there were members that were going back and deleteing stuff from threads making them garbled and not making sense so we set a limit that after so much time it can't be changed unless a mod does it. Send me a PM with your thoughts and we will consider a possible change to it.

Due to an event yesterday I can totally understand why you did what you did and support it. If something needs to edit something in an old post they can always just add it as a comment. Yes it’s a bummer when someone ruins things for everyone but I totally understand why the change was made. Hopefully they get the keyboard issues figured out soon.

I despise when the few ruin things for the majority.
Punish the few, not the rest of us.

I put out a lot of step by step, detailed recipes, changing it in a post several replies or a page later is asinine for keeping a recipe readily useful.

Reactions: forktender
I have seen the keyboard issue and have reported it. Yes this is new about the editing and yes its permanent for now. That being said I am open for discussion on the topic. The reason we did it was there were members that were going back and deleteing stuff from threads making them garbled and not making sense so we set a limit that after so much time it can't be changed unless a mod does it. Send me a PM with your thoughts and we will consider a possible change to it.
I hope this change has nothing to do with my deletion a few weeks back. I sincerely wasn't trying to remove my content just trying to stop a post that was getting out of hand. Being able to edit a post is a great feature that allows people to update recipes. And yes you can just add a new comment but that is an issue as well. Maybe someone sees the original post and goes with that but doesn't take the time to read through the possible pages of other comments

Reactions: chilerelleno
Being able to edit a post is a great feature that allows people to update recipes. And yes you can just add a new comment but that is an issue as well. Maybe someone sees the original post and goes with that but doesn't take the time to read through the possible pages of other comments
Exactly.

I understand the concept of not being able to go back & delete a bunch of posts, but there should be some way to be able for the OP to edit his original post to include a new ingredient or a different method of prep. I have done this numerous times after experimenting with different methods & wanted anyone who reads the thread to have the updated info. Would something like that be possible?
Al

In the past I've been able to edit older threads.
Now it seems that that ability is gone.
Is this a recent change, is this permanent?
If it is such, it sucks.

I just checked to see what you were talking about, because you said "Older" Threads.
It looks to me like anything older than 9 days is missing the "Edit" Button.
When you said "Older" I imagined that meant much "OLDER" than a week or so.

Every now & then I find, or somebody else finds & notifies me of another picture missing on one of my "Step by Steps". I'm wondering how I'm going to correct that if I can't even open the thread in order to re-insert the picture.

Also in case nobody ever noticed, None of my Threads are progressive. All of the important Data, Text, Pictures, or anything Important is "Front-loaded", so if anyone wants to Print the recipe or any other important item, they can do it "Short & Sweet", by only having to print the first page or pages. So if I have to add a correction 26 pages (500 posts) later, nobody is going to be able to find that.

Must be a better way to make up for somebody screwing up their own Threads, since the OP & the Mods are the only ones who can edit an existing Thread.

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky