ECB too hot !!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Carvendive

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
NE Wisconsin
Very first attempt at low and slow so I decided to go with country style ribs just in case.

Modified my ECB with a thermometer and a adjustable hood vent. Vent was closed. I loaded the pan with lump (cowboy) charcoal with 5 chunks of cherry. Chimney started maybe 15 Kingsford briquettes

Put them on top. Filled water pan and put the ribs on. Couldn't get the temp below 280. What did i do wrong?

IMG_20180916_192538127.jpg
Pulled the ribs at 145° and let them sit and then put them back in later so they'd finish up for dinner. Smoker is finally down to 240 where I added 8 briquettes and it's holding at 240. Meat is at 160 and climbing slowly even though I've coated them in sauce.

Pulled them at 170. Pic below. Yummmm. Still a bit tough but good flavor.

I may be wrong, but it sounds like you started with to many lit coals. I use about half that in my WSM. Also I think you should be keeping the top vent open to allow the smoke to pass thru the smoker. You don't want stale smoke on your meat.

Chris

Reactions: Carvendive
Yeah, after it cooled down I fed in 6 briquettes and it maintained 240 for almost 2 hrs. I guess I also put too much lump coal in to start with. Learning!

Lump coal burns allot hotter then briquettes.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky