ECB, first test burn questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seedubxj

Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
Folsom, CA
So I got my ECB 2 days ago, immediately drilled holes in the charcoal pan. In the middle of my first test burn. I used lump, 3/4 chimney full, and dumped onto a 3/4 full pan or unlit lump. I am almost 2 hours in and its been sitting @ 250 for the last 90 minutes. My question is this, how would I go about getting the temp to drop to 225 in this situation? Everything I've read about the ECB is that people have a hard time getting temps up initially. Seems I may have the opposite issue. Any help would be great. 

Also, I've just ordered the felt BGE gasket and a 3 hole damper cover for my next mods. Really excited to have some nice smoked meats to go along with my homebrew! 

Thanks in advance!

xj, morning and welcome to the forum....  Start with 1/4 of a chimney lit and dump it on a full chimney of unlit....  Try briquettes.... they burn cooler than lump, if I remember correctly....    Dave

xj, morning and welcome to the forum....  Start with 1/4 of a chimney lit and dump it on a full chimney of unlit....  Try briquettes.... they burn cooler than lump, if I remember correctly....    Dave
Or even less. I use to light about 6 coals and add to the rest of the charcoal in a minion style setup.  Is there a reason for the 225º ? 250º is not a bad smoking temp.

Last edited:
No real reason for 225 other than I want to learn how to settle in any any temp I want. I imagine it's a trial and error thing. Especially with the ECB.

No real reason for 225 other than I want to learn how to settle in any any temp I want. I imagine it's a trial and error thing. Especially with the ECB.
 About the only thing you can do with them is adjust the amount of charcoal you use and watch the air flow. I had one for over 30+ years. Just retired it this year. It was capable of 450º after I did all the mods to it.

I have an ECB as well that has the mods. Check out the pictues Flash has posted with his ECB settin on cinder blocks. I've tried it this way a couple
of times now with good results. You can get really good airflow/temp control by covering or uncovering the holes in the blocks. Also using less charcoal in the pan and the chimney starter helps keep the temp down.

How much water was in the water pan?  I  found lowering and raising the water level effects the water temp in my ECB. For me 1/4 full water pan I can get temps above 250. to keep it 200-225 I just fill the pan an inch or two. Wind also has an effect on my ECB.

Wind is my big problem as well. If the wind blows just right my temps drop dramatically. I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I need to find the time to do more mode tonit.

18171958-a924-a2c0.jpg
18171958-a930-746f.jpg

Two hours in. Pretty happy so far. Got a rack of baby backs on.

I also added the charcoal grill from a smokey joe to my fire pan. Seems to have helped. Q View to follow.

I have an ECB as well that has the mods. Check out the pictues Flash has posted with his ECB settin on cinder blocks. I've tried it this way a couple
of times now with good results. You can get really good airflow/temp control by covering or uncovering the holes in the blocks. Also using less charcoal in the pan and the chimney starter helps keep the temp down.

This works well if you have wind also. Turn the blocks to close off the air when needed. It also offers very easy access to the fire pan for adding more coals.

As to water, I always let the time length of the smoke tell me how much. Long smoke full pan, shorter smoker (couple hours) half a pan. Water should not delegate your temps too much unless it is cold out, then switch over to Playbox sand from Home Depot, Wal-mart, etc.  It will allow you higher temps and more consistent heat. Remember to place a sheet of foil over the sand and if it is dry sand, pour a cup of water in it to moisten it up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky