ECB BBB Plans looking good

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm glad I caught it day one .. I almost didn't try it first. Guess it pays to sample. It's almost ok.. just a little more salty than most are used to. Should be ready to smoke by the weekend..

Well it sure looks good fried up.Hopefully the soak will desalt it some for ya.

IMG_20171124_190232.png

This was way to much charcoal . Was hitting 200 so I took half out and added a water pan .
Windy as heck I opened all my bottom vents to help wind cool it a bit. 30 minutes in 115°.
IMG_20171125_115903.jpg

IMG_20171125_152103.jpg
Do you have anything you can make a windbreak out of?

No.. I don't need a windbreak, I'm using 2 pieces of charcoal with all my intake vents shut except 1 that is cracked. Its holding 85 perfect .
After 3.5 hours

I was using the wind to help cool down the smoker because more than 4 pieces of charcoal was to hot.

Last edited:
Looks good.I'd be tempted to cut some of that fat cap off before next smoke session but don't know if that's protocol.

Stuff seems to be getting dried out in the fridge not wrapped up.. gets stuff skin and harder to cut.

But tastes pretty good after 1-day smoke and rest.

Attachments

• IMG_20171126_104624.jpg
    IMG_20171126_104624.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20171126_105127.jpg
    IMG_20171126_105127.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 26
So um... I was reading about storing finished product in the fridge for a few days.. Some seem to think out in the open can cause a case to form on the bacon. (Hard shell) that is dry outter layer and may cause the wet interior of bacon to go bad faster.. Not able to breath.. My bacon is kind of tough on the outside. Not to easy to cut either..
I'm thinking of wrapping it or bagging it to get it out of the circulation in the fridge after 2 days..

Thoughts on forming a shell?
Was 2 days cold smoked 6 hours each. Stuff stinks also.. like wood smoke. My smoker was damp inside.. Smells like a fire put out with a bucket of water in the smoker..

I always leave my bacon to rest in the fridge for a couple days after smoking. Never a hard shell on it.

As far as the wood stink. I find that yes it smells strong, once cooked it's fine.

I always leave my bacon to rest in the fridge for a couple days after smoking. Never a hard shell on it.

As far as the wood stink. I find that yes it smells strong, once cooked it's fine.

Yeah.. I guess I'm not used to having newly smoked chunks of meat sitting uncovered in my fridge. :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky