ECA/fermento question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wyfly

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
A recipe I am wanting to try calls for 11/2 cups fermento. How much ECA would that equate too?

ECA and Fermento are NOT the same

Easy to explain.

Encapsulated Citric Acid is citric acid with a hydrogenated cotton seed oil coating. The coating prevents the citric acid from releasing in the meat during mixing and stuffing. If released prematurely, the sausage will not hold together. Meat must reach 150 degrees F for the acid to release and take its effect.

Encapsulated Citric Acid makes cured sausage shelf stable by lowering the pH of the sausage. It makes drying time shorter and sausage firmer. It gives snack sticks, salami, and summer sausage that old fashioned dry sausage taste. Citric Acid gives a tangy flavor similar to a Slim Jim.

ECA and Fermento are NOT the same

Easy to explain.

Encapsulated Citric Acid is citric acid with a hydrogenated cotton seed oil coating. The coating prevents the citric acid from releasing in the meat during mixing and stuffing. If released prematurely, the sausage will not hold together. Meat must reach 150 degrees F for the acid to release and take its effect.

Encapsulated Citric Acid makes cured sausage shelf stable by lowering the pH of the sausage. It makes drying time shorter and sausage firmer. It gives snack sticks, salami, and summer sausage that old fashioned dry sausage taste. Citric Acid gives a tangy flavor similar to a Slim Jim.
I though 30% fat and good mix/tumble by hand plus really tight stuffing makes sausage firm.... I am so technologically lagging....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky