ECA and low temp pulls

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbo_c

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
What happens if I use ECA but pull my SS at 145? My ECA says it releases at 150F.

Thought about this on the way to work this morning.

Suppose I’ll have my own answer when I have a taste Christmas Eve, but now it’s nagging at me. I’m guessing it will be fine.

Watcha think?

Jbo

Reactions: JLeonard
My understanding of ECA is that it starts to open at 135, but needs to obtain 150 to assure its fully melted out. I'd say pulling it at 145 might result in not having fully released capsules remaining.
If you're using it for tang taste, and not as a pH accelerator for shelf stability, it should be fine, just not optimal.

what kind of SS you making. At 145 your only 7* off from pulling anyways.

One’s a chorizo, the other is a hot Italian.

Just experimenting for a different flavor SS.

Jbo

nothing wrong with experimenting but to toss meat because it was not processed right is the hard part.

Go for it and see where you get.

What do you mean not processed right?

According to the tables I should be good at 145 after 3 minutes(much less 30). - or are you referring to my ECA question specifically? That was pure oversight, not part of the experiment.

Thanks for the responses.

Jbo

What do you mean not processed right?
I saw you asking about smoking and SV finish in another thread .
I would take it to 152 in the smoker . I didn't agree with the advice you got , but didn't comment .
If your going to use SV go by the chart for the time and temp for the size of the sausage . Add time to that to be safe .

I've seen variations for the use of ECA. Some say lower temps like 135F does it, some say higher, dosing rates vary too. Having run SS (no ECA) a few times and hitting a wicked stall I pulled some early and some here like it but I felt texture was too soft for me. Last run I did an overnight rest and no stall at all and took to 152F and texture was PERFECT. Overnight rest with ECA is not recommended tho... Last run I did I used 1% lemon juice and really liked that. Not sure how much acid you can add before it denatures. I have some Saco to fool with but admit I am pretty lost with understanding acidity vs denaturing. IE How can you ferment a sausage adding a lot of acidity but not add it directly? Does not make sense.

Thanks, Chopsaw. Finish was in the oven, but . . .

Yes, think I’ll be jumping into SV after the first of the year.

Jbo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky