Early Retirement??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not really, but my COBRA is better and cheaper. planning to to use the 18 months of COBRA and then switch ACA plan offered by our Univ. Health system which we love.

Our COBRA option was $1800/month, but did include dental and vision.

Blue Cross Blue Shield was about $ 3000/month for the walk in the door plan, but they are my ACA carrier so on the ACA (BCBS) plan I selected the subsidies cover the entire premium so I have paid $0 for 3 years. $1500 deductible, $8500 max out-of-pocket. Mrs ~t~ went to Medicare so now my deductible drops to $750. I do have a rider for vision and dental. That said I have now banked a considerable amount money I had earmarked for insurance when we retired early. I'm thinking a second home once the COVID thing settles down.

Wife's last worked day is today. She is stoked! I have till march 1. then I will be free as well.

Reactions: chopsaw
Wife's last worked day is today. She is stoked! I have till march 1. then I will be free as well.
Congrats sandyut sandyut and the Mrs!! Hope retirement is all you wish and more.

I used to only half joke I would EXpire before I REtire, but its a race now :emoji_grinning:
Actually, I cut back to part time Nov ‘19, and actually enjoying it now. company let’s me work as much or little I wish, and consult to the clients and projects I like. A wonderful luxury.

T minus 4 weeks.... I think the clock is slow...I am so ready to stop getting up before the sun and commuting.

Reactions: 912smoker
It will go fast. I have to say I enjoy waking up when I want and doing what I want. If I want to get up early to do an all day smoke I can, if I want to sleep in I do that too.
You forgot to say as long as you want . Lol . I love it . Used to work outside all day . Now I drink coffee and look out the window when it's cold .

With my fuzzy slippers on .

Last edited:
cant wait!! OMG! my wife is done - meaning she is retired, I can see it on her face everyday when I get home. the happy, the relaxed.

Good luck sir and congrats for a working, productive life!
I couldn't really retire "early" but held out 'til I was 65. It was to the point where I was getting sick to my stomach getting ready for work. Tired of working weird hours and days, tired of trying to satisfy the sales dept. and the owners at the same time, tired of dealing with labor issues, tired of hotel rooms. The list could go on. Apparently there's a high burnout rate for Trade Show and Convention Contractor Ops Managers....
Finally an altercation with one of the owners flipped the switch. After 35 years in the 401k I had a serious nest egg and with S.S. and Medicare eligibility I thought "Why wait!". I gave them 6 months.
The stress level dropped on my last day.
Yes, you will find some occasional boredom, but just knowing you don't have anything you HAVE to do today and looking out the window at crappy weather and knowing you don't HAVE to go out in it is priceless!
Enjoy it. You've earned it.

The stress level dropped on my last day.
Yes, you will find some occasional boredom, but just knowing you don't have anything you HAVE to do today and looking out the window at crappy weather and knowing you don't HAVE to go out in it is priceless!
Enjoy it. You've earned it.
thats what I am looking forward to! thank you! I'll join you soon.

I retired at 62, I will be 70 this year. At first it was nice to kept busy helping the kids doing odd jobs just to do something. Then I started to relax more. And at times I don't know what day it is, great feeling. I go boating and fishing almost everyday from the spring till the fall without any worries about having to worry about not going to work. It is our time to relax, and enjoy the grandkids and do what we please. You will get use to not waking up in the morning to get ready to go to work. Now I may stay up late to watch a movie, and sleep in till 9. You enjoy the retirement and don't sweat it. It's your time to enjoy life.

Reactions: shoebe
Guess that makes me a retiree in training... I don't know what day it is half the time!

Ryan

You will get use to not waking up in the morning to get ready to go to work. Now I may stay up late to watch a movie, and sleep in till 9. You enjoy the retirement and don't sweat it. It's your time to enjoy life.
thank you! I can hardly wait!

Hi Guys,

I am at work, for my last few hours and to relinquish my badge and parking pass. BIG DAY! LAST DAY!

I am so ready to move on to the next chapter of life.

CONGRATULATIONS! You'll love it. But... it takes a bit to adjust.

I wanted to go 40 years (Started early). Made it to 38 and had my job for as long as I wanted it. I was the only/last person to do what I did.

Well, went in one day and they p*'d me off soooo bad that I walked into my mgr's office, took my badge off, laid it on his desk and said: "do whatever the f' you want to do with that because I just retired" He said - "well, you'll have to sign some papers" and I said "you know my address" ;)

Made 38 years at 58. Currently 66 and loving retirement, but it does take a while to adjust.

It's interesting to think about how much might have changed since you posted this message four years ago. If you did make the transition to retirement, I hope you've been enjoying your well-deserved freedom and making the most of your time.
If you ever find yourself in need of financial advice or mortgage-related assistance in Bolton, you can consider reaching out to a Mortgage Broker Bolton for guidance tailored to your current situation.
Life has a way of evolving, and it's always exciting to look back and reflect on the journey. Wishing you all the best in your retirement and any new adventures that have come your way since then!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky