DynaGlo Offset Vertical Temp issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MeltedHand

Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Hey guys I've got a dynaglo vertical offset that I'm having big temp issues with. The main issue is it gets way too hot with the smallest amount of charcoal... my solution so far has been to do about 10 briquettes at a time on one side while I put the wood on the other side to smolder... if I put the wood directly on it lights and makes the chamber over 280 unless I control it by opening the fire door which lets the beautiful smoke out. Anyone with the same grill have suggestions on making this more efficient? I hate babysitting this thing so much.

And for reference I have 650 RTV on all seals and the main door has a nomex gasket. I took a lot of prep to make sure it didn't leak...and it doesn't! Haha

Yeah same here. Those mods are a must. I have zero issues with my temp controls except when high winds are blowing in my back yard. And I do get some high winds. I guess what I’m trying to say is the outside environment plays a big role on what’s happening inside. My best smokes on it come in spring and fall when the outside temps are 65 to 75 without much wind. What is your environment like? As long as I have winds in my favour I can control the internal temps quite easily with the vents. I just use charcoal and add wood chunks as I go along. I definitely babysit it but for me that’s part of the fun. There is nothing set and forget about it. Sorry I can’t be more help but I haven’t really had any issues with it. When I know I’ve got all day to smoke something it’s my go to smoker.

I forgot to mention that I usually fill the basket about 3/4 full of charcoal to start. I don’t understand why your temps are that high with only that many briquettes. What your outside temps like?

I forgot to mention that I usually fill the basket about 3/4 full of charcoal to start. I don’t understand why your temps are that high with only that many briquettes. What your outside temps like?
Well I haven't tried that much charcoal so maybe that is my problem? It wouldn't seem correct as that adds more heat. Right now Temps push close to 90 during the day

Wait i just thought of something...is it possible that because I basically sealed everything BUT the firebox as it created a large gap...that maybe even at full close im getting air? And because the main box is sealed tight the normal forgiveness of how the box was made has been removed causing it to better retain the heat thus making even a small amount of coals produce heavy heat?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky