Dutch smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's a great looking smoker!

Why would you want to go higher than 350?

Most smoking is done in the 225-250 range, unless it's chicken, then 325 is plenty.

Al

Hi Al, thanks!

Yes, for chicken I want to have the temperature high in the beginning to get the skin nice and crispy. But you say 325 will do the job? I haven't done a chicken yet but if don't have change anything, next weekend we will probably have some nice chicken on the menu. [emoji]128513[/emoji]

What is the best choice to go? Charcoal or bricettes? I made a pulled pork last weekend and I needed 4-5kg of charcoal (restaurant quality).

Here are the rest of the build pics:

What is the best choice to go? Charcoal or bricettes? I made a pulled pork last weekend and I needed 4-5kg of charcoal (restaurant quality).

Here are the rest of the build pics:

Really cool. I'm jealous of your skills! Most people here prefer the natural lump charcoal. Looking forward to see how your first smoke goes!

Reactions: luckybasterd040
Anorher question I don't have an air vent over the fire in the fb. Only on the bottom. Is it preferred to have one? Will it increase the flow of the heat?

I hope somebody with more knowledge than me jumps in, but going off everything I've seen I've never seen one on top of the firebox. From what I understand its best at bottom to allow oxygen to flow to fire and enable the drafting effect. Heat/smoke drifts up and out directed to where your meat is and channeled to the damper where it escapes. I think if you had one on top of the firebox the drafting would stop and smoke/heat would just leave without going into the cooking chamber. :biggrin: Well, that's my somewhat educated guess!

I hope somebody with more knowledge than me jumps in, but going off everything I've seen I've never seen one on top of the firebox. From what I understand its best at bottom to allow oxygen to flow to fire and enable the drafting effect. Heat/smoke drifts up and out directed to where your meat is and channeled to the damper where it escapes. I think if you had one on top of the firebox the drafting would stop and smoke/heat would just leave without going into the cooking chamber. :biggrin: Well, that's my somewhat educated guess!

Thanks for the reply! It defenitly makes sense what you are saying![emoji]128077[/emoji]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky