Dutch oven calzones

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
So when we get tired of pizza we throw in a calzone or two.

Here's my dough recipe:

2 cups (240g) All-Purpose Flour
3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt (4.5g)
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast or active dry yeast (1.5g)
3/4 cup (170g) lukewarm water
1 tablespoon (13g) olive oil
Mix everything until shaggy. Let rest 5 minutes. Stretch dough, rotate 90 degrees, stretch dough, rotate 90, repeat two more times. Let rest 5 minutes repeat the stretch process. Do this three more times resting 5 minutes in between. Cover let sit 40 minutes at room temp. Stretch again . Place in oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in fridge for minimum of 8 hours and up to 72 hours.
Three hours prior to when you want to eat, remove dough from fridge.
For this cook I went with the upside down Dutch oven. Using 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil oil lid and 1”-2” of the sides of Dutch oven.
place dough on lid and stretch to sides. Place DO on top and let rest 15 minutes. Remove lid and if needed stretch to sides again. Replace lid and let rest 1-4 hours.
When you are ready to cook get your briquettes ready. You want to go for 425-450. 29 briquettes total 10 bottom 19 top (12" DO).
Prep fillings . Put cheese on first, then sauce, toppings, more cheese. fold and crimp. Allow to rise 30 more minutes.

Put DO on, set up coals. Cook for 20-30 minutes. Time may vary depending on wind, outdoor temp, etc

FA1D66CD-955A-476C-88CE-AFC9AB564496.jpeg
05790E82-8A3B-49EB-AE15-34A42A381F1F.jpeg
663F1804-2407-44BD-B45B-395100A57A4B.jpeg

Had a blow out so scoped up the wayward toppings and threw them on top, lol!

That looks damn good, nice crust, I will try your dough recipe, thanks for sharing.

I had never actually heard of reverse dutch oven until now. You have a cool setup there.

Dang that looks good! Your killing me with the reverse dutch oven cooks! Nice job!

Calzones look really good! And filling! Never seen this done before...what do you gain by doing it this way? One advantage I could see is easier serving from lid than trying to remove from bottom of Dutch.

Ryan

Calzones look really good! And filling! Never seen this done before...what do you gain by doing it this way? One advantage I could see is easier serving from lid than trying to remove from bottom of Dutch.

Ryan

Thats the main reason. it also gives you a bit more real estate to cook on. My DO’s taper in towards the btm.

We’ve been cooking pizzas and calzones like this for years. I used to have a DO that had the little
Legs on the lid but it was stolen. The legs on the lid allowed you to put it over the coals.
I wouldn’t have bought the Camp
maid but I got it as a present so now we use it and honestly after using it I would buy one.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I'm no expert but I think the reverse dutch oven is when you pull the blanket over your own head
Bud, you made me shoot orange juice through my nose when I read this, this morning. I like reading through old posts when I can't sleep.

Man, I hope you are feeling a little better, I'll have to go read your latest updates to see how things are going with you. Get better man, this place needs your humor badly.

Reactions: JLeonard
Bud, you made me shoot orange juice through my nose when I read this, this morning. I like reading through old posts when I can't sleep.

Man, I hope you are feeling a little better, I'll have to go read your latest updates to see how things are going with you. Get better man, this place needs your humor badly.
I got a good chuckle out of it myself.

Jim

Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky