Dusted off the WSM 18" for the 4th.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mack73

Original poster
Jul 1, 2020
Hope everyone had a great 4th! Ive been looking for a new smoker- thinking vertical propane but they all seem to have issues, but the are cheap. So since I could not pull the trigger just yet I took out the WSM and smoked 2 racks of st. louis and a pork butt that I cut in half to save time. Have to say its been a while since I have smoked anything and it was fun to get back in it. Little pressure being the 4th and friends over but everything came great. I need to find some good rubs. I just used the generic recipe that you find online. Any suggestions are welcome along with smoker recommendations. The reason why I am looking to change is ease of use/cleanup and cabinet style for easy access.

IMG_2576.jpeg
IMG_2573.jpeg
IMG_2571.jpeg
IMG_2570.jpeg
IMG_2566.jpeg
IMG_2563.jpeg

Mm That looks good. How long did you cook them. And how do you like that rib rack. I bought one so if I decide to do a smoker in my Webber kettle I can get a few racks on but I never used it.

Mm That looks good. How long did you cook them. And how do you like that rib rack. I bought one so if I decide to do a smoker in my Webber kettle I can get a few racks on but I never used it.
Hey Smoking- Thanks...had a good time with it. With the ribs I smoke at 250 or close, let the smoker set in before putting on. I did about 2.5 hrs till bark set and I liked the color, then about 1 hr in foil with ingredients.(check to see if they are done or not, if not keep cooking) , take off and sauce and put back on for 15-30 till sauce sets. I learned to let the meat tell you when to go to the next phase. Using 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 are very basic guidelines. I tried those methods before and they always came out charred.

I trimmed those ribs and I was able to get both rack on top laying flat... just barely though. I put them in the rack and they were bending all over. I can't deal with that so I passed on the rack. Have not used it yet so can't say how good it works. I think my ribs might have been on the thin side...very floppy on rack. I would have to have cut halves to make it work...but hey Harry Soo uses racks and wins.
Hope that helps.

Nice!!!

I have a Camp Chef Smoke Vault and really like it.
Thinking thats the route I might go..I hear that many people have issues getting to 225-250 degrees and the flame is weak and blows out. Is this an issue you ever had? Hard to regulate temp on these? Thanks.

Thinking thats the route I might go..I hear that many people have issues getting to 225-250 degrees and the flame is weak and blows out. Is this an issue you ever had? Hard to regulate temp on these? Thanks.
In 3 years I have never had a flame out. Just run the tank at maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn open, never more than that. I run the top vent all the way open and run the bottom vents half open to all the way shut depending on weather, etc. I have smoked in cold, wind, and heat and never had issues.

Temp regulating can be tricky. I run a water Pan and find if I boil the water first it helps. Also, I run chunks which probably spikes my temps a bit. Most of the time after an hour of smoking I can settle her in to either 225 or 275.

You can easily get her up to 500 if you need to burn it off or get caramelized sauce fast too.

In 3 years I have never had a flame out. Just run the tank at maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn open, never more than that. I run the top vent all the way open and run the bottom vents half open to all the way shut depending on weather, etc. I have smoked in cold, wind, and heat and never had issues.

Temp regulating can be tricky. I run a water Pan and find if I boil the water first it helps. Also, I run chunks which probably spikes my temps a bit. Most of the time after an hour of smoking I can settle her in to either 225 or 275.

You can easily get her up to 500 if you need to burn it off or get caramelized sauce fast too.
Thanks for the info QB- Thats the kind of stuff you do not find in reviews.

Tasty looking smoke! You need to just try different rubs till you find ones you like either purchased or homemade. You can by Jeff’s book with his recipes, that help fund this sight still iirc, some interesting rubs I have bought include Bad Byron’s butt rub, Tatonka Dust and Kosmos Q cow cover.

• Love
Reactions: mossymo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky