Dust or Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PAS

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
N.E. OHIO
I have an MES 30 with the AMNPS tray. I have never used dust for smoking but the past week I have been making dust from some of my pellet supply using the water method. When do some of you choose to use the dust over the pellets? And what is the reasoning.
I live in N.E. Ohio.

I use dust for any delicate foods, like butter, cheese, jerky or cold smoked fish. I use pellets for hot smoking fish and bacon as well as flavor smoking larger meats. When using pellets make sure you have plenty of draft and as much volume and airflow as possible.

Reactions: PAS
IMO, the dust gives a better flavor... Since less smoke is produced, it seems to give a depth of flavor that tastes much better to me... I add the smoke below 120F for several hours... Then cook the meat without adding any more smoke.. Of course this is done ONLY to meats that have cure added due to the threat of botulism...
Here is what my smokes look like when using dust....
Picnic 6 hours of smoke 001.JPG
HAM 005.JPG

1582031802162.jpeg
Bacon3 11-7.JPG

Reactions: thirdeye and PAS
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky