Dumb holiday errors in judgement again.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
Let's try something new for Christmas .... it'll work out well..
So the missus and I had a purely scrumptious 3.5lb smoke Picanha to ourselves on Christmas eve. Christmsas dy was hosting the kids and brother in law. Typically do bone in rib roast, but knew I'd be beefed out after christmas Eve. So I saw a nice looking stuffed pork loin on here and thought it would be a nice change. Th store has full pork loins on sale for $1.99/lb. quickly grabbed one. got it home and the sumbich weighed 9 lbs. OK, i van halve it and smoke the fat end. all the pictorals i saw it seemed easy. butterfly and beat it thin with a meat cleaver. Could have used about a 4lb tenderizer to get it thin. Got it as thin as i could, sprinkled with smoke paprika, thyme and sage. Th stuffing was warmed cream cheese, shredded asiago, shredded spinach, diced fuji apple, crumbled bacon. spread thick nd even on about a 18x18 flap of meat. Enlisted mama to help with the roll. On he first flap of the roll the F@$ker split 2/3's th length of the meat. shit. still had the other piece of the loin so i figured I could butterfly it and wrap the other roll. I knew if was going to leak like a sieve. After about a whole roll of twine to attempt to tie it tight. lightly sprayed the "roll" with canola a sprinkled butt rub and a little honey powder. capped the end with tin fole put it in a pan and in the smoke at 250 with hickory and apple. Smoke to 145 internal. When done i had a pan full of melted cheese and pig fat. After a rest slicing it was a real charley foxtrot as each slice tried to unroll like a cinnamon bun. it is was it is. drizzled the slices with pan drippings. "here it is, eat it or not"...
Sorry so long winded.... not one of my typical culinary adventures
Never again... I'm not even a fan of pork unless it's ribs are pulled butt.
Carry on.....
IMG-4246.jpg

Last edited:
If you really don't like it that way.... I'm thinking tossing it in a processor a little at a time and whipping up a nice cracker spread or "pork melt" sandwich with a slice of tomato grilled in a skillet.
And that is why you are a OTBS Member....That is a great idea on what may have been a mess up. It'd end up being like a deviled ham?

And fxsales1959 fxsales1959 still looks great to me. I'd not pass a offer of a plate.

Jim

It looks very good to me I'd sure eat and enjoy it. Heck I'd even make it again if I were you maybe a little less cheese or a different kind.

And that is why you are a OTBS Member....That is a great idea on what may have been a mess up. It'd end up being like a deviled ham?

And fxsales1959 fxsales1959 still looks great to me. I'd not pass a offer of a plate.

Jim

This is why he's the SANDWICH KING

After a rest slicing it was a real charley foxtrot.. :emoji_laughing:
I think you just coined the name for the pork melt sandwich.. The Charley Foxtrot
warmed cream cheese, shredded asiago, shredded spinach, diced fuji apple, crumbled bacon.
.. mixed with prepared pork loin served on toasted sourdough bread. $10

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
Thank you for sharing your struggle! But I’m with everyone here that it looked successful in the end, as long as it’s tasty and it sure looks edible to me!

It looks very good to me I'd sure eat and enjoy it. Heck I'd even make it again if I were you maybe a little less cheese or a different kind.

This is why he's the SANDWICH KING
Or toss in a little binder like short grain rice. Kinda like a casserole rolled up in pork loin.
pineywoods pineywoods .. When did I become the SANDWICH KING? I am humbled to wear the crown..

Or toss in a little binder like short grain rice. Kinda like a casserole rolled up in pork loin.
pineywoods pineywoods .. When did I become the SANDWICH KING? I am humbled to wear the crown..
Okay maybe not sandwich king but pretty good at them sandwiches

Pic looks good to me, might have been a mess on the cutting board but it still tasted good... That's a win.

Did you try to cut it while it was still piping hot?
That can make a stuffed pork roll or porchetta want to come apart on ya.
I sometimes tie mine with the intent of cutting between the twine so the twine holds each slice together, and then remove once plated.
I find that a very sharp granton or serrated slicing knife is a must, and you must let the knife do it's work and not have to apply too much pressure when cutting.
A serrated slicer will cut through through the bark easier and more efficiently and with less pressure applied.

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky