Dry Section of Port Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigbrave

Original poster
Sep 1, 2022
Just joined forum and this is my first post. Been smoking a while, and have a problem I hope someone can explain and offer guidance.

I've attached a photo of ribs that I recently made. My problem is the area on the upper-right-hand side. The meat is "whiter" and very dry. All the other meat is darker, and much more moist. I don't like this part of the rib as it is very (!) dry.

So I'm wondering...am I buying the wrong meat, cooking them wrong? Or something else?

I smoke 3-2-1 @ 250. Use apple juice, butter, honey and brown sugar in the wrap.

Advice appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220901_150620.jpg
    20220901_150620.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 23
Hi and welcome to the forum from Minnesota!

Will give your question a bump back up to the top and hopefully someone will be able to give you some ideas to help.

That's a common issue with baby backs since COVID happened. Producers are leaving a ton of loin meat on the ribs. It used to not be that way but good baby back are hard to find the last 2 years or so. You can try trimming the loin meat next time which will help. I inspect ribs close nowadays and have basically moved over to spare ribs

I was at the store yesterday. Packer Loin is $1.99/lb. Baby back, $3.79 a lb.
I got bb ribs because I hadn't had them in a while. Going to watch out for that loin meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky