Dry Rib Rub - tasted more like the restaurant than the official rub bought at the store

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeffed76

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 8, 2013
Memphis
I'm a Memphis guy and like Corky's dry ribs.  I've used their store bought rub and was not impressed.  I went out and made my own (more like tweaked a recipe I found) and it tasted more like Corky's than the Corky's rub at the store.  Here is what I did:

3 tablespoon paprika

2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon mustard powder

3 teaspoon kosher salt

2 teaspoon black pepper

2 teaspoon stevia (use brown sugar if you prefer)

1 teaspoon season salt

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon cumin

I used the rub on beef ribs to try something new.  They seemed a little skimpy on the meat, but they tasted great.  Because I know "if there is no picture it didn't happen,"  here is the Q-view.  Not the best pic but it's all I had.  Any advice on beef ribs (smoking, selecting, etc..) is appreciated.

I just know I never over do them, especially the Dino Bones. 4 1/2 hours tops does us fine. Still tender, more like steak. As to beef backed ribs or short ribs, I am partial to marinating them in Mojo Crillio (Badia Brand) then cutting them individually and putting them in an aluminum pan with a little of the mojo, to spoon over them as they smoke. Sometimes they stay in the pan until done, sometimes if they are on the fatty side, I removed them after 3 hours and wrap in foil for 1 hour, then on the grate for 1/2 hour. Wife loves them, so I must have done good. 
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
One thing I always do when smoking beef short ribs is to ask the butcher for the untrimmed ribs. They should look like this:

Almost like belly bacon. When I get these they are cryo-packed and there are two full racks in a package. Once cooked they will look like this:

This particular cook I used the 3-2-1 method which I think is one of the best ways to cook beef ribs. I have found that the braising (foiling stage) is important to getting the fat in beef ribs to render down. Normally I wouldn't sauce during the last hour, but instead I usually give another quick coating of salt, pepper, and garlic. This particular cook I did sauce because I had some I needed to use up. This post shows the method I used, as well as the 2-2-1 method for pork baby back ribs.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/139185/3-2-1-2-2-1-blast-off

Do you guys get your beef ribs from the butcher? I picked these up at the grocery store. That might be why the were so skimpy on the meat.

Do you guys get your beef ribs from the butcher? I picked these up at the grocery store. That might be why the were so skimpy on the meat.
I buy them from my grocery store, but I ask the butcher at the store. Most stores that have a butcher on site trim and re-package whats out in the case. So they have the uncut, untrimmed full racks in the back somewhere.  Usually the price will be a bit less too, but not always. This is also a  good way to get bone-in butts. Just ask for untrimmed. You'll get two bone-in butts in a cyro-pack usually between 16 and 18 lbs total.

Seems most of our rack beef ribs are that way. No butchers in our area and why I am always on the look out for meaty beef ribs. We get a lot of them as we head home from NC, passing thru Georgia.

My little brother is a butcher and when I want dinosaur bones, I do like dirtsailor does and ask for the untrimmed ribs. Gotta have the fat to have good dinosaur ribs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky