Dry Cure Practices.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I've seen where some recommend pouring off the liquid that gets pulled out of the meat when dry curing. See below:

"• Salt draws moisture out of proteins. If dry-curing, routinely drain off any liquids that accumulate."
https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/use-curing-salts-smoking/

IMO, this is wrong. As the salt travels into the meat, it does pull moisture out of the meat, and this moisture absorbs the salt and cure to form a concentrated brine solution which further drives more salt and cure into the meat. If you pour it off, you are removing a lot of the salt and cure! Leave it in the bag!

Whatcha been makin lately Moto? I haven't seen many cooks of yours recently...
It's been an icy Blue Ridge winter.Freeze,snow,ice,thaw.Repeat....Crappy.
Lots of work plowing,clearing trees etc.And here we go again tomorrow to start the week off.
I'll be out of the rut and back in the groove soon

I pumped a ham yesterday , whatever did not stay in the meat , went in the bag . Same with TQ , if it falls off the meat , put it in the bag .

It's been an icy Blue Ridge winter.Freeze,snow,ice,thaw.Repeat....Crappy.
Lots of work plowing,clearing trees etc.And here we go again tomorrow to start the week off.
I'll be out of the rut and back in the groove soon
I hear ya.....we are having an early spring here. All that cold weather is not making it down here for the most part with the jet stream going west to east instead of buckling south...but that is about to change over the next 4~5 days. Temps. are gonna drop 25~30 degrees...it might freeze. And I'll be putting tomatoes inda ground in 2 weeks....

Another celebrity grill jockey whose advice should not be taken at face value.

I learned a long time ago to be cautious with places calling themsleves the best, ultimate, bible...

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky