I have been away from the forums for quite some time now. A fair amount has changed in my life since the start of 2026 - all for the better I might add. I transitioned to a new job that has a better work-life balance, but the biggest change was that we finally purchased our first home. We moved to the next town over in February and I've been busy fixing the neglected items - and there are lots in an old rental!. We're also making it ours. Enough with the updates. On to the topic of this post!
I had seen @SmokinEdge's dry cured bacon some time ago, but I only had one fridge and no where I could keep the belly for 2-weeks while it cured. I have since picked up a free fridge from an estate sale that now resides in my basement. I informed the family that it's my beer fridge/curing meats fridge - though I have allowed my son to put pop in the door. I currently have 3 country hams (Dave Omak's recipe) and a belly curing as I type this. I'm excited to see how the belly turns out!
I had seen @SmokinEdge's dry cured bacon some time ago, but I only had one fridge and no where I could keep the belly for 2-weeks while it cured. I have since picked up a free fridge from an estate sale that now resides in my basement. I informed the family that it's my beer fridge/curing meats fridge - though I have allowed my son to put pop in the door. I currently have 3 country hams (Dave Omak's recipe) and a belly curing as I type this. I'm excited to see how the belly turns out!