Dry Brined Pork shoulder PP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 21, 2017
south central Pennsylvania
So, I haven't smoked anything in a while or haven't really posted anything... I thought I would do some experimenting with dry bringing! As of right now I have a 8-9ish lb. shoulder sitting in the fridge dry brining in a kosher salt and white table sugar. I pulled the shoulder out this morning and thawed for about 7 hours in sink full of cold water I then started the brining process with a coating of kosher salt first. After 3 hours I pulled it back out and coated a layer of white table sugar on it then a thinner layer of kosher salt again.

Tomorrow morning before I rub it down with whatever BBQ Rub I choice, I'm going to rinse the shoulder off, pat dry and depending if it needs it, might do a base layer of mustard or something to help the rub stick. I'll update with at least finish pictures and how it turned out
po.jpg
pi.jpg

Yeah.. You supposed to thaw it a couple days in the fridge. Your playing roulette with bacteria thawing in the sink all day. Same as chicken. Couple hours thaw it out of fridge then back in to stay cold. The bacteria multiplies fast after a couple hours out of the fridge.
Then you get stuff that grows and you can't kill even by cooking. Don't do that again!!

Lol. Good luck and be safe!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky