Dry Baby Backs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rushnrv

Original poster
Aug 14, 2019
Pensacola, FL
I'd like to get some thoughts on what happened here. I'm fairly new to smoking ribs so I'm experimenting with does and doesn't work from me. Below is what I got into and the result.

I smoke on a Weber Kettle 22 and did 2 racks of baby back ribs today. I don't wrap, just season over night and smoke for 5-6 hours keeping my temperature of the grille around the ribs between 225 and 275. I normally put down a water pan on the grille grate, but forgot today so just decided to let it go. Anyway, my ribs got to 205 IT and I let them stay on for maybe 10-15 minutes longer as we finished some sides we were putting together. They turned out decent but were too dry. I'm thinking I should've pulled the ribs once I saw that 205 IT but am not sure if something else (lack of a water pan) could have lead to the dryness.
Any thoughts on where I missed today?

You are food safe at 145. The colagens and fats start melting out at about 190. At 200 if they probe tender, I pull them.I am guessing they went ambient on you. They probably reached the temperature in the smoker, and all the fat and juices just bled out. At 225 to 250, it wouldn't take long.

First off, make sure you have an accurate therm to track chamber temp.
Second, don't worry bout the water pan. That was not your problem IMO, I have not cooked with a water pan for quite some time now... and get juicy ribs.
Third, I do the toothpick/probe test... The toothpick test is simply run the toothpick in between the ribs, when it goes in with no resistance.. like butter.. it's done.
Last, when ya pull your ribs after they are done... rest them for a bit on the counter for the juices to redistribute.

Hope some of this helps...

I agree with Water except I use the bend test instead of a toothpick. I'll pick the ribs up with my tongs about a third to half way and if they freely fall to a 45* angle their done. If they fall further then your closer to FOTB.

Chris

Just wanted to thank the responses in this thread. I did 2 more racks over the weekend and they were by far my best rib to date.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky