Dry aging project 22lb bone in prime rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike w

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
Virginia
So I've read all the great threads here on dry aging and decided to take the plunge. I placed an order at the commissary for a 10lbish bone in ribeye roast and they sent me a 22lber which I picked up today so here we go!

Not gonna be able to weigh this on my kitchen scale to measure the weight loss
Out of the package and wiped down. I sprinkled kosher salt over the meat and there is a pan of salt below the roast. I hooked up a little computer fan to get some extra airflow going. I did not cut the bones off either.

I'm going to shoot for 30 days of dry aging and evaluate it to see how it's progressing. I might go to 45 days if everything is well. I am undecided on whether to split it into steaks and a roast, or all steaks.

Hi Mike,

That's a beautiful looking roast that you have. Good luck with it.

I do have one question. Why did you pre-salt the roast prior to starting the dry aging process? I've been dry aging my beef at home for a number of years and usually always have one in the works most of the year. I currently have one at around 9 lbs. that's been in for about 3 weeks. I have never pre-salted before starting the process, nor have I ever heard or read anyone recommending to do it. I have put a pan of salt below the roasts as you have, but frankly, I've never seen a discernible difference in doing so. I don't bother with it any more.

When I plan on cooking the meat after the process, I do pre-salt it for several hours, or overnight, depending on the size of the cut I intend to cook.

You have a lot of time to figure out what you're going to do with the roast when it's done. Personally, I would go half roast and half steaks. Freeze the roast, and when you get to the point of using it, decide to cook it as it is, or cut into more steaks.

Again, good luck to you, and keep us updated as you go.

Hi dls1 dls1

Because I was in a rush since we were heading out to a bbq. As soon as I patted it dry I grabbed the salt tin and sprinkled it on out of habit since I do that for almost all of my beef. It was an "ahh, damnit!" moment. I thought about wiping the salt off but we were running late.

I don't think it will have an adverse affect. It was a light sprinkling. I didnt pack it on. But we will find out if this is how you ruin a roast or not. :)

thanks for the information on not needing the salt pan. Do you flip your roasts at all? This one is sitting on a stainless steel grate that I sterilized before putting in the fridge. It is bone side down so I am hoping that will be good to go for 30 days.

Thanks again!

Hi @dls1

Because I was in a rush since we were heading out to a bbq. As soon as I patted it dry I grabbed the salt tin and sprinkled it on out of habit since I do that for almost all of my beef. It was an "ahh, damnit!" moment. I thought about wiping the salt off but we were running late.

I don't think it will have an adverse affect. It was a light sprinkling. I didnt pack it on. But we will find out if this is how you ruin a roast or not. :)

thanks for the information on not needing the salt pan. Do you flip your roasts at all? This one is sitting on a stainless steel grate that I sterilized before putting in the fridge. It is bone side down so I am hoping that will be good to go for 30 days.

Thanks again!
Hi Mike,

Since I've never done it, I don't know what the final outcome will be with pre-salting, but I doubt that your roast will be ruined, especially you didn't sprinkle much salt on. It might accelerate the moisture loss, but that's about all.

No, I've never flipped a roast when dry aging. Don't see a need to. Once it's set up all I do is monitor the refrigerator temperature and humidity with an external thermometer/hygrometer unit. I seldom even open the door unless I need to adjust the temperature. There have been times when I've forgotten I had a roast aging in the refrigerator. I had one go for around 60 days when I had to go out of the country for an extended period and forgot all about the roast. It came out great once I "discovered" it.

You should be good to go for 30 days, if not much longer. That's your call.

I don't know if you've seen it or not, but earlier this year, Mr. T started a thread chronicling his experience, as well as that of other forum members, with a dry aging project. Click here > http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...ustrations-comments-from-multiple-smf-members

Keep us posted as you move along.

Yes I did see that thread and have it saved for reference since there is a wealth of information.

If the salt accelerates the drying then I will keep an eye on it. The only thing in the fridge is some smoked cheese that is aging in vac sealed bags. I'll open it once a day to check on the fan and see if its still working. I stipped it out of an old computer and bought a phone charger at the thrift store.

Thank you

Hi Mike,

Since I've never done it, I don't know what the final outcome will be with pre-salting, but I doubt that your roast will be ruined, especially you didn't sprinkle much salt on. It might accelerate the moisture loss, but that's about all.

No, I've never flipped a roast when dry aging. Don't see a need to. Once it's set up all I do is monitor the refrigerator temperature and humidity with an external thermometer/hygrometer unit. I seldom even open the door unless I need to adjust the temperature. There have been times when I've forgotten I had a roast aging in the refrigerator. I had one go for around 60 days when I had to go out of the country for an extended period and forgot all about the roast. It came out great once I "discovered" it.

You should be good to go for 30 days, if not much longer. That's your call.

I don't know if you've seen it or not, but earlier this year, Mr. T started a thread chronicling his experience, as well as that of other forum members, with a dry aging project. Click here > http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...ustrations-comments-from-multiple-smf-members

Keep us posted as you move along.

Looks good, Mike, though you shouldn't see much of a change after just one week. In another week or two, it will be much different. You'll also notice something of a "Funky" odor. It's not an unpleasant odor, and don't be concerned. It's normal.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Count me in!

I just got a fridge that I am going to try this someday. My first project will be Pancetta.

That looks fantastic, can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks folks, I'm very excited about it.

DLS1 yes I have smelled the funky smell. Good to know!

Well sadly disaster has struck. Within the last day a fly got into the fridge and I discovered it this morning. It had laid a cluster of eggs on one of the bones.

After doing some research on whether to just chuck the whole roast in the trash or not, I
washed it and then trimmed it heavily.

I vac sealed the remaining roast and it will stay in the freezer at -20F for a month or longer. At a rough guess, I've got about 7 lbs of beef.

In hindsight I will add another layer of protection if I do this again. I have two plastic food tubs that are 5 gallons and lidded that i got off amazon.
I could convert one of those to hold the roast. Cut a square and attach the computer fan to it and then cut another vent on the other side and cover them with mesh. Those tubs fit in the fridge so no problem there. If condensation was an issue, I could cut a large section of the lid away and cover that with mesh.

Well sadly disaster has struck. Within the last day a fly got into the fridge and I discovered it this morning. It had laid a cluster of eggs on one of the bones.
I find it unusual that a fly would lay eggs at refrigerator temperatures as they become inactive at temperatures below 45°. Is it possible that what you saw was a harmless mold beginning to form, the timing would have been about right?

T

Hi mr T,
Thanks for stopping and replying. I took pics and compared them to molds and eggs and they looked the same as eggs. All I can think is that it didn't maintain the cold well enough. It's an under the counter British fridge. They always seem to take a long time to get cold again after the door is open compared to American fridges.

Hi mr T,
Thanks for stopping and replying. I took pics and compared them to molds and eggs and they looked the same as eggs. All I can think is that it didn't maintain the cold well enough. It's an under the counter British fridge. They always seem to take a long time to get cold again after the door is open compared to American fridges.
Hi Mike, 

Trying something new is always a learning process. I just thought it unusual that a fly would migrate from a warm environment to a cooler one to lay it's eggs.

Good luck on your next one.

T

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky