Dry Aging a Waguy Prime Rib.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KevinsMeats

Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Detroit, Michigan
Wondering what temperature do you dry age beet at? and what should the humidity be at?
22lb waguy prime rib.jpg

Yo can just put it in a standard refrigerator.
Here is one I did a while ago.
Al

Yo can just put it in a standard refrigerator.
Here is one I did a while ago.
Al
I bought a couple of Dry aged Ribeyes from my local butcher about 3 years ago. 28 days I think. No seasoning, grilled to medium. Found literally no flavor or tenderness difference to regular ones. I see from your previous post it needs more like 40-45 days aging. Could this be done with a whole Strip Loin instead of Ribeye? And in a fridge that gets opened 6-8 times a day? Thanks again for opening new worlds.

I bought a couple of Dry aged Ribeyes from my local butcher about 3 years ago. 28 days I think. No seasoning, grilled to medium. Found literally no flavor or tenderness difference to regular ones. I see from your previous post it needs more like 40-45 days aging. Could this be done with a whole Strip Loin instead of Ribeye? And in a fridge that gets opened 6-8 times a day? Thanks again for opening new worlds.

Yes it will work with a strip loin, and just put it in the bottom back of the fridge & don’t stand there with the door open for a long time looking for something. Get in & out as quick as possible. I had mine in our beer fridge so it got opened a few times a day.
Al

Reactions: MJB05615
Yes it will work with a strip loin, and just put it in the bottom back of the fridge & don’t stand there with the door open for a long time looking for something. Get in & out as quick as possible. I had mine in our beer fridge so it got opened a few times a day.
Al
OK, great. I'll run some temp checks on the fridge this week first to make sure it's reasonably accurate as it's in my garage, and it's about 23 years old. Before making the Meat investment. You recommend 40-45 days even for Strip loin? Once again you're advice is invaluable.
Thanks.

Yep, 40-45 days is perfect. You really don’t get much flavor change at 30 days, after that the flavor starts to get much beefier, and by 45 days you have perfection. Some guys go 60 days, but I think that is a bit too long for my taste. Good luck!
Al

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky