Dry Aged Beef Rib...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...round 2. I dry aged a bone-in rib roast for 42 days and it turned out pretty good https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/dry-aged-beef-rib-steaks.312711/#post-2290332. But I wanted to take one to the next level. I had this boneless beef rib half in my freezer that I bought back at Christmas so I thawed it out, vacuum sealed it in a UMAi bag and into my garage fridge for a while. Plan is at least 60 days on this one...
Dry Aged Ribeye.jpg

Stay tuned, I'll be back in a couple of months...

Cant beat the UMAi process. Easy and very user friendly.

Here is a tip: Place the label on the sealed flap, having it right on the bag can affect that area for drying.

Cant beat the UMAi process. Easy and very user friendly.

Here is a tip: Place the label on the sealed flap, having it right on the bag can affect that area for drying.
Hadn't thought of that, thanks...

I did a couple 60-day briskets. They were juicy and delicious! But you're going to lose a lot of it after trimming.

I'm going to try the sausage maker wraps. They held the shape a little better in the head to head with umai but we're the same other than that. It's a wrap and netting vs a sealed bag.

I'm going to try the sausage maker wraps. They held the shape a little better in the head to head with umai but we're the same other than that. It's a wrap and netting vs a sealed bag.
One difference I've noticed between the Umai bags and Sausagemaker wraps, is that the Umai bags will come off completely. The Sausagemaker wraps do not; they fuse to the meat. Not a big deal if you plan on trimming 100% of the surface area, but I would not use them for sausage or charcuterie.

One difference I've noticed between the Umai bags and Sausagemaker wraps, is that the Umai bags will come off completely. The Sausagemaker wraps do not; they fuse to the meat. Not a big deal if you plan on trimming 100% of the surface area, but I would not use them for sausage or charcuterie.
Good to know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky