Dry Age Experimentation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nutt

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 19, 2011
Fort Collins Colorado
So at first I was excited but now that I have had it for a day I am second guessing myself. Figured would run it by you folks before diving in head first.
Found this beer/wine cooler for almost free because the PO punctured the cold plate on the back wall. (Pretty sure can reseal, I mean why not?)
1A7C9C35-78DA-4C3B-A05F-0261CB409AE7.jpeg A4B8B8F4-62C7-4795-B3D2-187FDAB720B8.jpeg EE14AE0E-8226-40A8-BD91-C8793A91B783.jpeg
It’s in great condition otherwise, that’s why I jumped on it. This I can put next to my wine rack and the wife won’t mind :-) NOT out in the sun room where the temps vary dramatically.

SO THE QUESTION IS THIS: Is it too small for me to mess with? My main concern is fitting a rib roast in it, I guess it will have to hang?
Yes this if I patch it up...and if not then I’m out $20, it was worth the gamble.

My folks have an old full size fridge that works, could go with that but... so big!! Would really prefer glass door kinda thing....but yes can’t have everything. Really what would the old fridge cost to run? Gotta be pricey, just for this, but of course could unplug when not in use.

What say you guys? I’m not doing more than 2 rib roasts a year at this point. The small fridge would not allow to have “ballast” for the temp, water or um “cough” beer(sanitized of course).

most wine coolers run temps in the 40-50 range I think also

That's not too small at all to dry age 3 Rib Roasts or Dry Cure a Prosciutto, and a couple of Coppa or a couple Salami...JJ

So the freon leaked out. When you patch, whats the cost to refill it?

So this is the highest rated beverage cooler, or one of the highest rated beer mini fridges available to buy because it gets down to 35 or something stupid cold for a mini fridge!! I will check after this post.....

For gas It takes R134, my father(now retired) can modify the A/C but still does side jobs so has everything to do anything pretty much. :-) So I was not worried when made the purchase, if anything we can play around and make a custom setup. Play with stuff ya know, now that I know it’s ok size wise?

I mean this is perfect for next to my wine rack! So now the ChefJJ has signed off on the size I’m ALL IN BABY!!!

Last edited:
My father has extra parts and gas so the cost will be negligible to play with it. If patching the hole does not work then I will just tack in a different direction, not sure what that would be at this moment but more research on what you experts are using for setups will enlighten me for sure!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky