Drum smoker guide

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sammartin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
Sanger, TX (North Texas)
So there is a local guy that is building some really nice looking 55gal drum smokers (WebberHaus) and id love to get my hands on one, but ive never worked with a drum smoker, ive always been an offset guy. So im not quite sure what to look for in his or anyones builds, so any pointer or advice is greatly appreciated. Plus how is life when you smoke with a drum? ive heard nothing but good thing about them and how some cooks will hold steady for 10+ hours. So any input is greatly appreciated.

Here is the smoker im looking at let me know what you think! Thanks for the help!
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/for/d/custom-55gal-bbq-drum-smoker/6427733169.html

I have been using a drum smoker nearly exclusively for the past 12 months.. absolutely LOVE them, they function on the same principle as a WSM

Once you learn the ins and outs of your particular drum, cooking is a breeze..usually ill wake up early, put the meat on and get the temps dialed in then go back too bed for hours and hours, when i wake up to check on the temps they have only ususlly moved a couple degrees. the longest ive ever run my drum was 18 hours and still had fuel left over in the basket using minion method.

They can be sensitive to wind and direct sunlight all day in summer can make her run a little hotter.

Overall i will never get rid of my drum, I love it to death and the food it puts out is excellent

Here is a few pics of food that's come off it

20170730_165434.jpg
20171107_170336.jpg
20171112_192718.jpg
20171015_205445.jpg

Reactions: sammartin
Around the top of the sides of the drum, I would start with 4 each 1/2" holes.. use a step drill... refer magnets can be used to close them... or wooden plugs... On the side, rain won't get in... On the lid, rain gets in.. the lid should have a sealing ring, cam operated, to seal it air tight... drum smokers do not work well if they are not air tight... you can't control the heat... Some folks add short pipe nipples to the exhaust using conduit nuts then add pipe caps to seal them off... or conduit caps... drill the holes the correct size for the caps..

conduit lock nuts.jpg .. Conduit Plugs.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky