Drippings and Grease

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DonP

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I'll be doing 3 X 12-15 lb briskets and 3x 12-15 lb pork butts. Then 9 racks of back ribs the next day. That's a lot of mess dripping.

Should I use foil pans to catch the drippings or just let it all drip to bottom of the chamber use the drain?

Personally, I try to catch what I can in pans to keep my smokers a little cleaner. Especially so with the pellet pooper.
My offset also has a charcoal grate in the main chamber. It's not the best grill as it lacks adjustability, it's kind of hard to add fuel, and there is no access to poke, prod and arrange the coals . In any case, the bottom is already a little crusty from grilling.

^^^^^^This. And you have that liquid gold in the pans to add back to the sliced brisket and PP !

Keith
That is an excellent point. Both will held warm after being sliced and pulled, then will sitting out in chafing dishes.

Thanks for the advice everone. It was actually 3 Briskets and 6 Butts. This cook still made a huge mess but the trays helped.

A little out of focus but it's the only pic I took.

IMG_6406.JPG

I'll be doing 3 X 12-15 lb briskets and 3x 12-15 lb pork butts. Then 9 racks of back ribs the next day. That's a lot of mess dripping.

Should I use foil pans to catch the drippings or just let it all drip to bottom of the chamber use the drain?
Definitely catch it in a pan. Keep the drippings and grease to cook with.

I line the bottom of my offset with wide aluminum foil and use pans. The foil helps catch what the pans don't which helps at cleanup. Grease will always find a way under everything tho

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky