Dried venison (VDB)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

klutzyspuds

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Central WI
With the 2016 Wisconsin gun deer season nearing, and my brother and I having made our own processed venison (sausage, brats, snack sticks, bacon) after last season, my father questioned whether I could make dried venison like he has made professionally each year.

Now, if you have ever had this made, you know it is terribly expensive due to the time required and shrink loss. So, using a couple remaining venison roasts I thought I would give it a try. I researched here on forums, and after studying I decided to follow Bearcarver's step-by-step. A big thanks to Bear for his help and support with my questions.

I used tender quick and brown sugar cure with weights and measurements as per Bears recipe, and calculated minimum cure time of six days, but hoped to get at least eight pending time constraints.

With family coming into town for the hunting season, I had agreed to smoke a couple pork butts for Friday dinner, so I knew the smoke hollow gas would be busy, so I got a chance to play with the new MES 40 with cold smoker attachment. Eight days cure was Friday, so both smokers got fired up at around 4 am, and again the step by step was followed.

Well, after an all day smoke, everything worked fabulously, and I pulled the venison at IT 155 to 162 on all the pieces. After cooling for a while, I wrapped them up and stuck them back in the fridge till slicing.

Yesterday was opening day, so hunting had to take precedence over slicing, but as luck would have it, I was able to tag out with a nice doe in the morning and a dandy buck right before dark. So today instead of hunting with the rest of the guys, I got to enjoy the weather from the house and get this stuff sliced up.

Again, a big Thank You to Bearcarver for the help. I don't think my dad will be paying big bucks to have this made again. It turned out fantastic, and I was really surprised as to how easy it really was to make. Going to be making a lot more of this. Thanks for taking a look.

Mark

Curing in the bags for eight days.

Soaking in the ice water after cure.

Another of the soak, along with the butts for the family.

One piece cut to check the cure reached all the way through

Fresh out of the smoker. CBP, onion, and garlic powders added to each before smoking.

All sliced up and ready to package. May not last long enough to pack with all the family around, but hey success will produce more.

A preview of where the next batch is coming from

Last edited:
Whoa. How did I miss this great cook.

I love dried beef. I am out, need to make more.

Nice Job, Mark!!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Simple & Tasty---The way I like things!!
icon14.gif

And Nice Buck Too!!
icon14.gif

Nice of him to become good Eats!!

Bear

Nice Job, Mark!!:drool ----:points:

Simple & Tasty---The way I like things!!Thumbs Up

And Nice Buck Too!!Thumbs Up

Nice of him to become good Eats!!

Bear

Bear, thanks for all the help on this new adventure. Better yet, my dad who wanted me to try it thought this stuff was as good if not better than what he pays high dollar for. Well worth every second, and lots of fresh venison in camp this year to make more.

Thanks again, Mark

Bear, thanks for all the help on this new adventure. Better yet, my dad who wanted me to try it thought this stuff was as good if not better than what he pays high dollar for. Well worth every second, and lots of fresh venison in camp this year to make more.

Thanks again, Mark
Thank You Mark!!

I'm glad you all like it, especially your Dad. I started making VDB for that same reason.

Getting my Deer Hind quarters processed was a lot cheaper than buying Beef Dried Beef, but it still wasn't cheap.

Now we can get a Deer & make it ourselves for very little cost.

I think your Dad likes this more than what he was buying, because like most places, they dry it a little too much. That's why I try to not go much beyond 160° IT.

Enjoy,

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky