Dried jalapeno's - try number 2 - venison/jalapeno/cheddar summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
I decided to try dried jalapeno's in my summer sausage a while back. I was trying to figure out how much, hydrate or not hydrate, etc.

This batch I decided to go with 0.75 oz. of dried jalapenos per 10 pounds of meat. I did hydrate them for about 20 minutes and used tap water. I dumped the rehydrated jalapenos and the little bit of water they were soaking in (about an ounce) into the meat and blended it all together.

Here is what I found out:
  • Hydrated jalapeno's show up better in the sliced finished product. I will probably hydrate them from here on out.
  • 0.5 oz. dried jalapeno (unhydrated) / 10 pounds of meat was a very light jalapeno flavor
  • 0.75 oz. dried jalapeno (hydrated) / 10 pound of meat was noticeable jalapeno flavor and actually had a little kick to it.
  • For this batch I used 7.5% high temp cheddar (in case you were wondering)
  • Next batch I will probably go back to 0.5 oz. of dried jalapeno (hydrated) just to see the difference.
Here are the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_9535.jpg
    IMG_9535.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9534.jpg
    IMG_9534.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9536.jpg
    IMG_9536.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9537.jpg
    IMG_9537.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9540.jpg
    IMG_9540.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 62

Dave in AZ

Meat Mopper
Oct 2, 2022
Phx, AZ
I decided to try dried jalapeno's in my summer sausage a while back. I was trying to figure out how much, hydrate or not hydrate, etc.

This batch I decided to go with 0.75 oz. of dried jalapenos per 10 pounds of meat. I did hydrate them for about 20 minutes and used tap water. I dumped the rehydrated jalapenos and the little bit of water they were soaking in (about an ounce) into the meat and blended it all together.

Here is what I found out:
  • Hydrated jalapeno's show up better in the sliced finished product. I will probably hydrate them from here on out.
  • 0.5 oz. dried jalapeno (unhydrated) / 10 pounds of meat was a very light jalapeno flavor
  • 0.75 oz. dried jalapeno (hydrated) / 10 pound of meat was noticeable jalapeno flavor and actually had a little kick to it.
  • For this batch I used 7.5% high temp cheddar (in case you were wondering)
  • Next batch I will probably go back to 0.5 oz. of dried jalapeno (hydrated) just to see the difference.
Here are the pics.
Great report, really helpful, thanks! I haven't tried jalapeños, but your writeup will be a good guide when I do. Amazing looking big pile o' sausage!

Reactions: uncle eddie

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
Forgot to mention. That is really nice looking SS. I like it tangy.
I have tried the commercial jar pickled jalapenos and they are not the greatest. The jarred stuff brings in salt and vinegar, plus the flavor has been cooked out. I thought about using the jar liquid as the liquid adder to the mix, but that salt and vinegar component.
I make my sausage to REDUCE salt.

Have you tried crumbling the high temp cheese? That is my next round as all of my sausage goes in hog casings.

Reactions: zwiller

Tinner340

Smoke Blower
Nov 18, 2022
Montana
Great looking sticks!! I like the texture, did you use sheep casings?

As far as Jalapeno's go, I use 8 grams dried Jalapeno per kilo of meat. If I want to go hotter I use 9g or mild 7g. A lot easier then chopping up fresh jalapenos but maybe not as much flavor.

With fresh Jalapenos, I use 1 medium sized pepper per pound.