Dried jalapeno's - try number 2 - venison/jalapeno/cheddar summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
I decided to try dried jalapeno's in my summer sausage a while back. I was trying to figure out how much, hydrate or not hydrate, etc.

This batch I decided to go with 0.75 oz. of dried jalapenos per 10 pounds of meat. I did hydrate them for about 20 minutes and used tap water. I dumped the rehydrated jalapenos and the little bit of water they were soaking in (about an ounce) into the meat and blended it all together.

Here is what I found out:
  • Hydrated jalapeno's show up better in the sliced finished product. I will probably hydrate them from here on out.
  • 0.5 oz. dried jalapeno (unhydrated) / 10 pounds of meat was a very light jalapeno flavor
  • 0.75 oz. dried jalapeno (hydrated) / 10 pound of meat was noticeable jalapeno flavor and actually had a little kick to it.
  • For this batch I used 7.5% high temp cheddar (in case you were wondering)
  • Next batch I will probably go back to 0.5 oz. of dried jalapeno (hydrated) just to see the difference.
Here are the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_9535.jpg
    IMG_9535.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_9534.jpg
    IMG_9534.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9536.jpg
    IMG_9536.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9537.jpg
    IMG_9537.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9540.jpg
    IMG_9540.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 82
I decided to try dried jalapeno's in my summer sausage a while back. I was trying to figure out how much, hydrate or not hydrate, etc.

This batch I decided to go with 0.75 oz. of dried jalapenos per 10 pounds of meat. I did hydrate them for about 20 minutes and used tap water. I dumped the rehydrated jalapenos and the little bit of water they were soaking in (about an ounce) into the meat and blended it all together.

Here is what I found out:
  • Hydrated jalapeno's show up better in the sliced finished product. I will probably hydrate them from here on out.
  • 0.5 oz. dried jalapeno (unhydrated) / 10 pounds of meat was a very light jalapeno flavor
  • 0.75 oz. dried jalapeno (hydrated) / 10 pound of meat was noticeable jalapeno flavor and actually had a little kick to it.
  • For this batch I used 7.5% high temp cheddar (in case you were wondering)
  • Next batch I will probably go back to 0.5 oz. of dried jalapeno (hydrated) just to see the difference.
Here are the pics.
Great report, really helpful, thanks! I haven't tried jalapeños, but your writeup will be a good guide when I do. Amazing looking big pile o' sausage!

Reactions: uncle eddie
Forgot to mention. That is really nice looking SS. I like it tangy.
I have tried the commercial jar pickled jalapenos and they are not the greatest. The jarred stuff brings in salt and vinegar, plus the flavor has been cooked out. I thought about using the jar liquid as the liquid adder to the mix, but that salt and vinegar component.
I make my sausage to REDUCE salt.

Have you tried crumbling the high temp cheese? That is my next round as all of my sausage goes in hog casings.

Reactions: zwiller
Great looking sticks!! I like the texture, did you use sheep casings?

As far as Jalapeno's go, I use 8 grams dried Jalapeno per kilo of meat. If I want to go hotter I use 9g or mild 7g. A lot easier then chopping up fresh jalapenos but maybe not as much flavor.

With fresh Jalapenos, I use 1 medium sized pepper per pound.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky