1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Dried Beef Step by Step (Great Stuff)

Discussion in 'Beef' started by Bearcarver, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That's Great !!
    Give me a Yell, to make sure I don't miss that Thread!!!

Bear

2. nanuk

nanuk Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Bearcarver, I will be paying closer attention to the salt taste on the next pieces.
    I can tolerate salt, but SWMBO is sensitive to salt.

a wash and soak won't hurt the flavour, so perhaps I'll let one piece soak regardless, and see how it goes!

And I now understand your comment about your Son and Jerky! MMMM......

3. TulsaJeff

TulsaJeff Smoke Whisperer Staff Member Administrator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

@bearcarver I know this is an older post but it's a really good one none the less-- This post will be featured on our social media tomorrow morning at 11 AM CST.

Check it out tomorrow on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter

4. Steve H

Steve H Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

The other day I took a pack out of the freezer. And had it with spicy mustard on crackers. Awesome snack!

5. Bearcarver

Thank You Very Much, Jeff!
    I'm Honored!

I'll take your word for it, because I don't do Insta, FB, or Twit.
    I'm Email & Forum only.

Bear

6. Bearcarver

Sounds like a Good Plan!!

And Yes--He does definitely favor those outside pieces!!!

Bear

7. jignjab

jignjab Newbie

Hi Bear. I just got done slicing the Canadian Bacon that I made on Wednesday. It great just like the last time I made it. I am doing the dried beef now and I was wondering why you didn’t plastic wrap the beef like you did the CB?

8. Bearcarver

Glad you like that CB---I love it too!!
    Probably because when I did the Dried Beef, I was using my Basement Meat Fridge, and when I did the CB, I wrapped them & put them in my big Kitchen French Door Fridge. Mrs Bear wouldn't like the extra Smoked Meat Smell in that Fridge.

Bear

9. jignjab

jignjab Newbie

Oh ok Bear. I was just curious. I had my meat in my beer fridge in the shed so it would not matter for me.

10. Bearcarver

Smart Move!!
    December we'll be married 50 years---Learn a lot in 50 years!

Bear

11. jignjab

jignjab Newbie

44 in November for me. And ain’t that the truth!

zwiller likes this.
  12. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

Totally inspired to do this! As usual, great write up. Your slices are pretty thick compared to the razor thin stuff from the store. No slicer here (yet)... Do you think slicer is needed for lunchmeat? I figure it's OK/cut against the grain.

13. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Yes .
    First time I made bacon , I stopped 2 slices in and went and bought a slicer . You wont be sorry .
    I've made this beef, and it's really good .

14. Steve H

Steve H Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

If you're good with a knife, then no. There are some people on here that can slice so well you couldn't tell the difference from a slicer. But a slicer is much, much easier.

15. Bearcarver

I would imagine some people could slice 1/8" slices of Dried Beef, but even if I could, it would be a "Royal" PITA !!

Bear

16. smokinadam

smokinadam Smoking Fanatic

I am wondering if having some of the liquid leak through my bag will affect this process. It wasn’t leaking 2 days ago and last night I noticed some leaked out onto the plate I have it on. I am at 7 days as of yesterday and was going to wait until tomorrow to take out and season.

Thanks
    SA

17. Bearcarver

Are you following my Step by Step?
    "Taking out at 7 days to season"?
    Then what---Back in or into the Smoker.
    7 days is a bit short.
    How much juice did you lose at 6 days? If not much I'd just complete the curing process you started.
    If a lot, can you pour it back in.
    I don't know a lot of variables, like how thick was it & how many days was your plan?

Whatever you do, make sure you do a "Salt-Fry'Test" and make sure it cured to center.

Bear

18. smokinadam

After checking when I got home from work I only had about a teaspoon of liquid out of the bag. Lots more inside still.

My round of 2 7/8 inches thick so I figured 6 days plus 2 plus 2 more if reading correct unless there was an update. First attempt and have picture of starts (been awol off here since our first daughter was born).

Thanks SA

Attached Files:

19. Bearcarver

OK---That tsp of juice shouldn't hurt a bit.
    And 10 days is Fine. I thought you were pulling at 7.
    As You were.

Bear

20. smokinadam

Sounds good. Nope I wanna leave it as long as possible.