Double smoked ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Not many pics. Most didn't come out good. I should have used my camera instead of phone. Though the camera on the phone usually gives better results then this.
Started out with a 7 poundish spiral cut ham. And spread a mixture of honey, brown sugar and djohn mustard that was melted in the microwave.
Put the ham in the smoker at 275 with apple pellets. And in a perforated pan on the rack over it. I put a pound of thick sliced bacon and brown sugar.
It took about 3.5 hours to get to 150 IT.

20201126_164358.jpg

This is the 3rd one I've done. If you haven't done one of these. Then give it a try. The bacon fat really helps keep the ham moist and self basted.
EDIT: This is using Bearcarver Bearcarver method. Sorry for any confusion. I normally add the original recipe owner. It slipped my mind.

Last edited:
That is a good looking ham.
I usually don’t buy spiral cut hams, cause they seem to dry out too easily, but you seem to have figured out how to get them nice and juicy!
Nicely done Steve!
Al

Looks great Steve! That's the way I did my last ham and it came out terriffic also.

I did one for our work thanksgiving a couple of weeks ago. Next thing I know, I was recruited to do a couple for the ladies I work with. One is trying to talk me into doing it as side gig. Told her it took the fun out of it. Yours looks most excellent!
Jim

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
That's one really good looking ham Steve. I gotta agree on all counts with SmokinAl SmokinAl I've done a couple of spiral cut hams and was underwhelmed. You seem to have the cure for the problem and after the smoke clears from yesterday I may very well grab one on clearance sale and cook it up just as you cooked yours.

Robert

Looks Great, Steve!!
And You sure are getting a lot of credit for your Bacon Drip Method!!

Bear

Anybody that's been here longer then a week would know where this method came from. I usually add whos idea it was. It just slipped my mind. No offence or theft implied.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky